Joseph E. von Meier
Mr. von Meier leads a dynamic real estate practice focusing on residential and commercial real estate development. He has extensive experience representing multiple Chicago-based and national developers in all aspects of single-family, condominium, apartment and student housing transactions. He also represents tenants and landlords in industrial, office and retail lease negotiations and large real estate holders in acquisition and disposition of real estate inventory. In addition, Mr. von Meier has represented municipalities and developers in land use/zoning matters.
Mr. von Meier received his B.B.A. from the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, in 1995. He was awarded his J.D. cum laude, from the University of Wisconsin, Madison in 2002 where he served as Vice President – Evans of the Moot Court Executive Board.
Mr. von Meier has been recognized in the 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012 editions of Illinois Super Lawyers magazine as a “Rising Star” in Real Estate Law. He is a Member of the American, Wisconsin and Chicago Bar Associations and is licensed to practice in Illinois and Wisconsin.
Representative Clients and Experience
- LG Construction + Development – Mr. von Meier has represented this Chicago-based luxury residential and retail developer since its inception in 2005 and currently serves as general counsel advising the company and its members on real estate, corporate, tax and litigation matters. Mr. von Meier has advised LG on many successful projects including:
- Purchase and development of an 11-unit high-end townhome project within a Lincoln Park Planned Unit Development
- Development and construction of a build-to-suit in-fill 2-story restaurant located in River North for Arizona-based national restaurant chain
- Acquisition, development and disposition of multiple single-family homes in Lincoln Park and Bucktown with an average sales price of $3,500,000
- Condominium conversion of 28-unit 4-story apartment building in Lincoln Park
- Retail build-out of Chicago restaurants Girl & the Goat, GT Fish & Oyster and Native Foods as well as Oak Street location of Hermes of Paris and the Rush Street Location of Oliver Peoples
- Campus Acquisitions – Mr. von Meier represented this national student housing developer in the development, construction and leasing of first class student housing towers including “309 E. Green” on the University of Illinois campus in Champaign, Illinois and “the Vue on Apache” on the Arizona State campus in Tempe, Arizona.
- Core Campus – Mr. von Meier acts as counsel to this recent market entrant with respect to its debut student housing development, “the Hub at Tempe,” on the Arizona State campus in Tempe, Arizona, including corporate formation, debt and equity realization, negotiating development and management agreements as well as the architecture, engineering and construction contracts.
Illinois 2002, Wisconsin 2002
- University of Michigan, Ann Arbor (B.B.A. 1995)
- University Of Wisconsin (J.D., cum laude, 2002)
Professional and Civic Involvement
Member, American Bar Association; Member, The Chicago Bar Association; Member, Wisconsin State Bar Association
Illinois Super Lawyers "Rising Star," 2009-2011