Job Title: Paralegal
Firm: Burke, Warren, MacKay & Serritella, P.C.
Department: Wealth and Succession Planning Group
Reports to: Department Chairman
Hours: 9:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. (with possible flexibility)
Classification: Non-Exempt Salaried
Candidate would be joining the Wealth and Succession Planning Group at Burke, Warren, MacKay & Serritella, P.C., which is one of the most respected estate planning groups in the midwest. The group represents individuals, families and fiduciaries in all phases of estate planning, trust administration, charitable giving, succession planning, ownership transition, and trust and estate litigation.
- Paralegal Certificate or equivalent from an accredited University or Paralegal Certificate Program.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited University a plus.
- At least 4-5 years of law firm experience as an estate planning paralegal.
- Strong communication and organizational skills.
- Computer proficiency, particularly experience with the Microsoft Office package, including Microsoft Excel.
- Experience with Visio and with ProSystem FX tax preparation software would be helpful.
I. Administration of Estates and Trusts. Candidate would be asked to assist lawyers regarding the administration of probate estates and trusts. Work would include:
- The preparation of court documents needed to open and close a probate estate.
- Collection of information needed for preparation of inventory.
- Arranging for appraisals and other valuations.
- Maintaining financial records of estate or trust and preparation of accounts.
- Establishing and managing estate or trust bank accounts.
- Corresponding with debtors and creditors to obtain pertinent information.
- Obtaining employer identification numbers for estates and trusts.
- Preparation of documentation needed to transfer/liquidate assets, including stock, real estate, and motor vehicles.
II. Estate Planning. Candidate would be asked to assist lawyers regarding the funding of revocable trusts. Work would include:
- Preparation of documentation needed to open accounts in the name of a revocable trust.
- Preparation of deeds.
- Preparation of documentation needed to designate or change beneficiaries under insurance policies, IRAs and qualified plans.
- Preparation of initial drafts of Wills, revocable trusts and powers of attorney.
III. Tax Return Preparation. Candidate would be asked to assist lawyers regarding the preparation of tax filings. Work would include:
- Preparation of IRS Form 709s “United States Gift (and Generation-Skipping Transfer) Tax Returns.”
- Preparation of IRS Form 706s “United States Estate (and Generation-Skipping Transfer) Tax Returns,” and related State estate tax returns.
- Possible preparation of fiduciary and individual income tax returns.
IV. Miscellaneous. Candidate would be asked to assist lawyers regarding other matters that arise from time to time and that are related to the work performed by the attorneys in the Wealth and Succession Planning Group.
* * * * *
The information presented is intended to describe the general nature and level of work required of an employee holding this position. This information is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills. From time to time job duties and responsibilities may be modified or adjusted to meet the demands of the job, without a formal revision to this description.
Burke, Warren, MacKay & Serritella, P.C. is an equal opportunity employer. No person will be excluded from consideration for employment because of race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy and sexual orientation), age, physical or mental disability, arrest record, marital status, military or veteran status, or any other protected classes under the law. This policy applies not only to recruitment and hiring practices, but also with regard to promotion, transfer, rate of pay and termination.