- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
University of Illinois (B.S., high honors, 1994)
University of Illinois College of Law (J.D., magna cum laude, 1997)
- Judge Blanche M. Manning, U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
Aaron Stanton is a partner with Burke, Warren, MacKay & Serritella's Litigation group. Named one of the top "40 Under 40" attorneys in Illinois by the Chicago Law Bulletin, Mr. Stanton serves the commercial litigation and general business legal needs of his clients ranging from entrepreneurs and middle market companies to Fortune 500 companies. His clients include real estate brokers, financial institutions, real estate developers, health care service organizations, heavy construction equipment manufacturers, retailers, municipalities, and individuals. Mr. Stanton handles a wide range of commercial litigation matters in state and federal courts throughout the United States, including the defense and prosecution of fraud claims, contract and lease disputes, land use and development controversies, Lanham Act and false advertising cases, defamation, employment matters, housing discrimination, and trade disputes.
Mr. Stanton also serves as the outside corporate counsel handling legal matters for several businesses, including @properties; Zacks Investment Research, Inc.; Zacks Investment Management, Inc.; Avra Properties, LLC; and the Chicago Transit Authority Pension Plan and Health Care Plan.
In addition to his commercial litigation practice, Mr. Stanton, in conjunction with Burke, Warren's real estate and corporate attorneys, assists his clients in a variety of corporate and real estate matters, including advising on the sale, purchase, and development of multifamily residential, commercial, and industrial properties; negotiating and executing investments in real property (commercial and multifamily) and bars and restaurants; assisting real estate developers in condo-conversions, town home developments, and the construction and operation of assisted living facilities; and structuring corporate entities, drafting private placement memoranda for start-up companies, and securing investments in start-up companies, both through private placement and convertible notes. Mr. Stanton also works with Burke, Warren's sophisticated estate planning group to ensure that his clients' estate planning needs are met.
Prior to joining Burke, Warren, Mr. Stanton served as a judicial law clerk for Judge Blanche M. Manning of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois. In 2000, Judge Manning selected Mr. Stanton from among hundreds of applicants for one of two law clerk positions. After Judge Manning asked Mr. Stanton to remain beyond his initial two-year commitment, he served as the judge’s “right-hand man” into 2005. While clerking, Mr. Stanton also served as an adjunct professor at Loyola University of Chicago School of Law, where he instructed first year students on the fundamentals of legal writing.
Prior to clerking, Mr. Stanton served as a litigator at Jenner & Block LLP in Chicago, where he argued numerous motions before state and federal courts, took depositions, and prepared complex cases for trial. He worked on a diverse range of matters in his three years at Jenner, including insurance coverage, product liability, patent law, legal malpractice, employment issues, admiralty, and breach of contract actions.
Since joining Burke, Warren in August of 2005, Mr. Stanton has obtained numerous favorable results for his clients in an array of litigation matters, including:
- Secured dismissal and/or summary judgment in favor of his real estate developer/seller clients in breach of contract/warranty and fraud actions (each seeking between $350,000 to $1,000,000), including Siegel Development, LLC v. Peak Construction, LLC et al., 2013 IL App (1st) 111973, 993 N.E. 2d 1041 (Ill. App. Ct. 2013)
- Obtained numerous injunctions for employees/clients against former employees that breached non-solicitation agreements
- Obtained a $1,000,000-plus verdict for Hyundai Construction Equipment U.S.A., Inc. against an importer of "gray market" Hyundai construction machines (e.g., Hyundai equipment intended for sale and use in a country other than the United States), Hyundai Construction Equipment U.S.A., Inc. v. Chris Johnson Equipment, Inc., No. 06 C 3238, 2008 WL 4210785 (N.D. Ill. Sept. 10, 2008)
- Co-chaired a two-week jury trial resulting in a $500,000 verdict in favor of a Chicago-based national health insurance company in a breach of contract action
- Chaired a fraud action brought by a group of restaurant investors against general partner that resulted in a significant settlement for Mr. Stanton's client's mid-trial
- Secured dismissal with prejudice of a $1.5 million fraud claim against a REIT stemming from the sale of a $3.1 million industrial property
- Successfully defended a suburban municipality in a six-day bench trial in an alleged unlawful takings case
- Procured dismissal of several million-dollar, lender liability actions against financial institutions
Loyola University of Chicago School of Law, adjunct professor (2000-2003)
The Chicago Bar Foundation, vice-chair of the 2009–2015 Investing in Justice Campaign
Chicago Food Depository, volunteer (2005-present)
Evanston Township High School Booster Club, corporate fundraising chair (2008-2009)
Kingsley Elementary School Parent Teacher Association, corporate fundraising chair (2013-2015)
- October 12, 2016
- September 15, 2016
- April 2016
- Using An Overbroad Confidentiality, Non-Compete And Non-Solicit Agreement To Scare Employees Can Seriously BackfireDecember 3, 2015
- Real Estate Broker Law — Legal Update: Change in the Law on Marketing New Construction Condominiums in ChicagoNovember 18, 2015
- September 23, 2015
- July 1, 2015
- April 3, 2015
- To Compete or Not to Compete: Appellate Court Ruling Could Mean Changes for Employers and Non-Compete RestrictionsJuly 25, 2013
- January 4, 2011
- November 8, 2010
- August 2, 2010
Events & Speaking Engagements
- "Hyundai Construction Equipment U.S.A., Inc.'s Strategies For Combating Gray Market Construction Equipment", Alliance for Gray Market and Counterfeit AbatementAmericas Conference, Fourth Quarter, 2009
- American Bar Association, Business Law Section, Continuing Legal Education, Teleconference, December 9, 2009