- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Central District of Illinois
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit
- Federal Trial Bar
University of Illinois (B.A., High Honors, 2001)
University of Illinois College of Law (J.D., magna cum laude, 2004)
- Rickert Awards for excellence in Oral Advocacy and Trial Advocacy
Alex Marks is a partner in Burke, Warren, MacKay & Serritella's Litigation, Labor and Employment, and Consumer Financial Services Litigation practice groups. He has extensive experience handling a wide array of commercial disputes in both state and federal court, including breach of contract, deceptive trade practices, and other business torts. Mr. Marks' experience spans a wide range of industries, including financial services, real estate, insurance, and automotive.
He also focuses his practice on labor and employment cases. Throughout his career, Mr. Marks has represented individuals and businesses in discrimination lawsuits and other employment-related contract and tort actions. Mr. Marks has litigated dozens of matters involving claims such as race, age, religion, national origin, disability and sex discrimination, sexual harassment, retaliatory discharge, and wage and hour issues. He has also handled discrimination charges before the EEOC, the Illinois Department of Human Rights, the Illinois Human Rights Commission, the Cook County Commission on Human Rights, and the Chicago Commission on Human Relations, along with wage claims before the Illinois Department of Labor. Mr. Marks also regularly litigates claims involving employment restrictive covenant agreements and routinely counsels clients on a variety of employment practices, including employee handbooks.
Mr. Marks has first and second chair trial experience in both courts and arbitration hearings, and he is a member of the Federal Trial Bar. Mr. Marks has also represented clients on appeal before federal and state courts. He is licensed to practice law in Illinois and the United States District Courts for the Northern and Central Districts of Illinois and the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals.
Mr. Marks has been named an "Illinois Super Lawyers Rising Star" for 2012 to 2016, which recognizes the state's top two percent of up-and-coming attorneys under the age of forty. Through a peer review conducted by Martindale-Hubbell, the leading legal rating service in the United States, Mr. Marks received a ranking of AV Preeminent: "possessing the highest level of professional excellence."Mr. Marks also regularly represents indigent clients on a pro bono basis, including securing enrollment rights for a homeless, public school student and the rights of a prison inmate who alleged constitutional violations during his confinement.
Mr. Marks currently serves as the chair of Burke, Warren's Pro Bono committee, and formerly served as chair of its Labor and Employment law practice group.
Mr. Marks received his Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, with high honors, from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, in 2001. He was awarded his J.D. degree, magna cum laude, from the University of Illinois College of Law in May 2004, where he was awarded Rickert awards for excellence in oral advocacy and trial advocacy. During the summer of 2002, Mr. Marks was a legal intern for the Illinois Attorney General's Office, and, prior to joining Burke, Warren as an attorney, he was a legal intern at the firm during the summer of 2003.
Representative cases include:
- Successfully defended a family-owned business against a multimillion-dollar, race discrimination lawsuit
- Obtained dismissal of claimed right to financial privacy action against national bank
- Acted as lead chair at arbitration hearing resulting in judgment in favor of automobile dealership in consumer fraud action
- Secured dismissal of false claims qui tam action against a 501(c)(3) charity organization
- Obtained dismissal of alleged Illinois Deceptive Trade Practices Act claim against private business
- Co-chaired federal bankruptcy, adversary proceeding trial resulting in determination of discharge for debtor
- Obtained summary judgment to remove claimed easement running over client's property that had been recorded as a cloud over title
- Acted as lead chair at Illinois Department of Labor wage hearing defeating employee's six-figure wage claim against private employer
- Secured dismissal of alleged violations of Fair Debt Collections Practice Act against creditor
- Obtained no-cause finding at administrative agency level for alleged age discrimination charge against private employer
- Obtained summary judgment on minister’s employment discrimination claims against religious Parish
- Successfully tried case resolving dispute over land rights between neighboring property owners
- Obtained entry of judgment in breach of contract case relating to asset purchase in sale of business
- Secured voluntary dismissal of lawsuit filed by business against product manufacturer
- Successfully negotiated termination of development agreements that real estate developer entered into with municipalities
Honors & Awards
- Mr. Marks has been named an "Illinois Super Lawyers Rising Star," 2012 to 2017, which recognizes the state's top two percent of up-and-coming attorneys under the age of forty.
- Through a peer review conducted by Martindale-Hubbell, the leading legal rating service in the United States, Mr. Marks received a ranking of AV Preeminent: "possessing the highest level of professional excellence."
- Constitutional Rights Foundation of Chicago's "Lawyers in the Classroom"
- Cabrini Green Legal Aid - Expungement Help Desk
- Chicago Coalition for the Homeless Law Project
- Chicago Bar Foundation, Young Professionals board
- Chicago Bar Association, Young Lawyers section
- University of Illinois College of Law Alumni Association Board, Vice President
- University of Illinois Campus Alumni Advisory Board
- Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence, Board of Directors
- October 5, 2017
- August 1, 2017
- April 3, 2017
- March 17, 2017
- December 9, 2016
- November 7, 2016
- October 19, 2016
- October 12, 2016
- September 15, 2016
- July 1, 2016
- April 2016
- March 2016
- July 28, 2014
- March 13, 2014
- December 10, 2012
- January 11, 2012
- May 14, 2010
- February 22, 2010