Georgetown University (B.S., cum laude, 1978)
Georgetown University Law Center (J.D., 1981)
Doug Wambach has concentrated his practice in commercial real estate for more than thirty years. He offers a consultative and practical approach in his clients’ purchase, sale, design, construction, financing, and leasing of office, industrial, retail, and multi-family residential properties. His experience includes numerous complex transactions with asset values exceeding $100 million. He has also represented clients in industries such as senior housing development and golf course lending and development. Mr. Wambach currently heads Burke, Warren’s real estate practice group. He has served on the Firm’s three-member management committee since elected by his partners in 1995.
While based in Chicago, he represents a national pension trust and other investment funds in real estate acquisitions and joint ventures nationally. He has counseled investors in the formation of real estate investment funds and the investment by those funds in joint ventures, acquisitions, and development projects. As a member of Burke, Warren’s Religious practice, Mr. Wambach represents religious, education, and social services organizations in a variety of real estate related matters. He is also actively involved with the Firm’s Automotive Franchise group assisting its clients on the sales and purchases of dealership assets.
Mr. Wambach is the former chairman of the governing board of Boys Hope Girls Hope of Illinois and is the recipient of the 2014 Heart of Gold Award for his work as a mentor with the scholars of the program. He also received the “Making a Difference Award” in 2014 from the Lawyer’s Lend a Hand Program of the Chicago Bar Association for his work with Boys Hope.
- Represented the Chicago Park District in connection with the re-development of Soldier Field with respect to construction and development matters.
- Represented a national REIT in the joint venture and acquisition of two suburban office bulidings in the Chicago suburbs.
- Represented a national pension trust in the acquisition and development of 400+ acres of land in Edwardsville, Illinois.
- Represented a national pension trust in the sale of an office building in suburban Cincinnati, Ohio and the restructuring of government incentives in connection with the sale.
- Represented a pension fund in connection with the joint venture acquisition, development, and sale of a Class-A office building in Salt Lake City, Utah.
- Represented a national pension trust in the joint venture development of a two-phase, multi-family development in downtown Minneapolis, Minnesota.
- Represented a national pension trust in the sale of a multi-building office portfolio in Addison, Illinois.
- Represented a religious organization in a complex land swap involving the City of Chicago and Chicago Public Schools.
- Worked with Firm’s Automotive Franchise Group in the multimillion-dollar acquisition of four dealerships in Rochester, New York, involving numerous parcels of real estate.
- Represented the sponsor in forming an investment fund to provide equity to a series of joint ventures with an Indianapolis-based developer of multi-family apartment projects.
- Represented the joint venture in the sale of four of the multi family projects.
- Represented an investor group in connection with the sale of mineral deposits in downstate Illinois.
- Represented a Village in the northwestern suburbs of Chicago as Village attorney for more than twenty-five years, providing counseling and assistance on numerous land use, zoning, and municipal matters.
- Represented a national pension fund on the sale of distribution center buildings containing more than 3 million square feet in the St. Louis area.
- Represented a manufacturing client in connection with the design and construction of a new headquarters building containing more than 250,000 square feet in Oak Brook, Illinois.
- Represented a manufacturing client in the purchase of a building in Northbrook, Illinois by means of a reverse 1031 exchange.
- Represented a municipal entity in the sale of its headquarters in Chicago, Illinois.
- Represented a local hospital in connection with the design and renovation of its research and laboratory space on the north side of Chicago.
- Represented a national pension trust in connection with the acquisition of the ground lease of a to-be-developed shopping center in the southern suburbs of Chicago and the acquisition of the land from the local municipality.
- Represented a religious order in the sale of a high school to a charter school organization.
- Represented an investor group in a joint venture acquisition, financing, and development of a student housing project in Champaign, Illinois.
- Represented a national pension fund in the sale of a multi-family project in Round Lake Beach, Illinois.
- Represented a religious organization in the sale of 300 acres of developable land in Lake County, Illinois, which also involved a land swap with the developer.
- Represented a national car dealer in the purchase of a dealership property in Dade City, Florida, involving the buy-out of multiple leases.
- Represented a national car dealer in the acquisition of a to-be-developed dealership property in Romeoville, Illinois, including the negotiation of an incentive agreement with the municipality.
- Represented a Chicago-based real estate investment company in the purchase of the interest of its institutional partner in a hotel project in Naperville, Illinois.
- Represented a Chicago based real estate investment company in the sale of an office building in Chicago, Illinois, which also involved multiple IRC 1031 exchanges.
- Represented a Chicago based real estate investment company in a joint venture for the development of an industrial project in Salt Lake City, Utah.
Honors & Awards
- Since 2005, Mr. Wambach has been selected by his peers for inclusion in the Illinois Super Lawyers List, which appears in Chicago Magazine.
Member, The Chicago Bar Association
Mentor, Boys Hope Girls Hope of Illinois
Board Member, Boys Hope Girls Hope of Illinois (2001-2013 [Chair 2009-2011])
Recipient of the "Making a Difference Award" from the Chicago Bar Association's Lawyers Lend a Hand Program
Associate Member, Urban Land Institute
- August 28, 2016
- March 2016
- October 1, 2015
- November 8, 2013
- September 18, 2012
- October 8, 2010
- February 1, 2010