Northwestern University (cum laude, 2005)
Northwestern University School of Law (J.D., cum laude, 2009)
Erica Alva is a partner in Burke, Warren, MacKay & Serritella’s Corporate, Real Estate, and Health Care groups, where she focuses her practice in the areas of complex business transactions, including mergers and acquisitions and equity raises, regulatory counseling, real estate investment transactions, and other general commercial matters. Erica has experience advising large companies, mid-market business owners and their families, and entrepreneurs on general corporate and organizational matters, internal restructuring, governance, real estate investment, succession planning, and business contracting. Erica’s clients are active in various industries including health care, pharmaceuticals, manufacturing, information technology, international business, and energy. Before law school, Erica analyzed policy implications of proposed legislation, acted as a liaison to state representatives, and implemented policy initiates as a Dunn Fellow in the Illinois Governor’s office.
- Represented client in the financing and acquisition of a $28 million dollar suite of pharmaceutical products, including the negotiation of loan and security documents with large institutional lender
- Advised family office client regarding the formation and maintenance of not-for-profit foundation
- Represented investor in negotiation of partnership agreement and investment documents for new brewpub and beer-distribution business
- Represented client in shareholder dispute and successfully reached beneficial settlement
- Provided regulatory guidance to publicly traded company on state telemarketing and telemedicine laws
- Represented office tenant in negotiation of architect and general contractor agreements for office expansion project
- Conducted due diligence for and represented client in refinancing of commercial office building
- Represented individuals in high-end home purchases and sales in Chicago and the suburbs
Erica has represented various entrepreneurial clients through The Law Project, which offers high-quality, pro bono transactional legal services to community-based nonprofits, small businesses, and first-time homebuyers. Erica has also volunteered with Equip for Equality, assisting parents of special education students so that they can effectively advocate for their rights, and with the Escuela en Casa program through Family Services, providing English tutoring.
Events & Speaking Engagements
- January 21, 2016