- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit
- Federal Trial Bar
University of Miami (B.B.A., cum laude, 1982)
IIT Chicago-Kent College of Law (J.D., 1986)
Ira M. Levin, a partner at Burke, Warren, MacKay & Serritella in Chicago, has represented clients in a wide variety of commercial business and complex commercial litigation matters for more than thirty years. He has tried numerous cases to both juries and judges in state and federal courts and before arbitrators and administrative agencies. Mr. Levin has also argued many appeals in both state and federal appellate courts and has been engaged by trade associations to prepare amicus briefs in matters of special interest.
Mr. Levin's practice has an emphasis on motor vehicle franchise disputes. He tried the very first case before the Illinois Motor Vehicle Review Board that was formed in 1996 and continues to litigate matters before the Board. In 2006, Mr. Levin successfully argued a case before the Illinois Supreme Court against General Motors Corporation. He had previously tried and won the case before the Board and in which General Motors sought to challenge the constitutionality of the Illinois Motor Vehicle Franchise Act.
Following the Chapter 11 reorganizations of GM and Chrysler in 2009, Mr. Levin arbitrated on behalf of franchise owners in more than 30 reinstatement cases. He handled two of only three Chrysler franchises that were reinstated in the state of Illinois.
Mr. Levin has both prosecuted and defended a wide range of contractual and business tort claims including shareholder disputes and fiduciary duty and tortious interference claims. He has represented real estate developers in a variety of real estate disputes and has prosecuted and defended companies in labor and employment matters including the Fair Labor Standards Act, non-compete, and trade secret cases. Mr. Levin also has significant experience in defending professional liability claims as well as consumer claims, including class action defense work in both federal and state courts.
Mr. Levin regularly counsels closely held businesses on various matters including regulatory and tax issues and labor and employment issues and has bought and sold closely held companies.
Mr. Levin is a member of the Federal Trial Bar and is admitted to practice in all courts in the state of Illinois, the Northern District of Illinois, and the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals. Mr. Levin received his B.B.A., cum laude, from the University of Miami in 1982 and his J.D. from IIT Chicago Kent College of Law in 1986. He is a member of the National Auto Dealer Counsel (NADC).
- General Motors Corporation, et al. v. The State of Illinois Motor Vehicle Review Board, et al., 221 Ill.2d 1, 862 N.E.2d 209, 308 Ill.Dec.611 (2007), Case Nos. 101585 and 101601, Supreme Court of Illinois (clients: Grossinger Autoplex, Castle Buick-GMC and Joe Mitchell Buick-GMC)
- Ramon Alvarado, et al. v. Corporate Cleaning Services, Inc., et al., 782 F.3d 365 (7th Cir. 2015), Case No. 13-3818, United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit (client: Corporate Cleaning Services, Inc.)
- Nissan North America v. The Motor Vehicle Review Board, et al., 7 N.E.3d 25 (Ill. App. 1 Dist. 2014), Case No. 1-12-3795, Appellate Court of Illinois, First District (client: M.E. Fields, Inc. d/b/a Fields Infiniti and Yampa Valley Enterprises, Inc. d/b/a Fields Infiniti of Lake County)
- Nissan North America, Inc. v. Jim M’Lady Oldsmobile, Inc., 486 F.3d 989 (7th Cir. 2007) (argued)
- Nissan North America, Inc. v. Jim M’Lady Oldsmobile, Inc., 307 F.3d 601 (7th Cir. 2002) (argued)
- George Keporos v. Loquercio Automotive South, Inc. d/b/a Honda City, 2014 IL App (1st) 151074-U, Case No. 1-15-1074, Appellate Court of Illinois, First District (client: Loquercio Automotive South, Inc. d/b/a Honda City)
- Garry Ioffe v. Skokie Motor Sales, 414 F.3d 708 (7th Cir. 2005), Case No. 04-3083, United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit (client: Skokie Motors Sales)
Honors & Awards
- Through a peer review conducted by Martindale-Hubbell, the leading legal rating service in the United States, Mr. Levin received a ranking of AV Preeminent: "possessing the highest level of professional excellence."
Federal Trial Bar
National Auto Dealer Counsel (NADC)