Miami University (Ohio) (B.S., 2009)
Loyola University Chicago School of Law (J.D., 2015)
James M. Murphy is an associate in the Firm’s Real Estate and Real Estate Tax groups. Jim prepares property tax appeals for industrial, office, retail, and residential properties as well as provides property tax estimate services for budgeting, leasing, and purchasing purposes. Prior to joining Burke Warren, Jim practiced law for a boutique law firm in Chicago specializing in ad valorem property tax appeals, property tax incentives, and eminent domain.
Prior to law school, Jim was an Illinois licensed commercial real estate broker where he represented both landlords and tenants, and also assisted in the property management of various commercial properties. Jim earned his J.D. from Loyola University Chicago-School of Law, where he also received a Certificate in Tax Law and competed as a member of the ABA Negotiation Team. While in law school, Jim was a member of the Loyola Community Law Center where he represented indigent clients in legal matters and was appointed by the court to represent two minors in response to their mother filing a petition to discharge their guardian.
Jim earned his Bachelor of Science degree in Finance from Miami University (Ohio) in 2009.
- Prepared ad valorem property tax appeals for industrial, office, retail, and residential properties submitted to the Cook County Assessor and Cook County Board of Review and various collar county reviewing bodies
- Provided property tax estimate services for budgeting, leasing, and purchasing purposes
- Advised and guided clients through the Cook County Class 6B and Class 7B tax incentives
- Drafted municipal resolutions required for the tax incentive applications
- Presented client proposals and resolutions to municipal bodies for approval and prepared applications and evidence for submission to the Cook County Assessor’s Office
- Represented landowners in condemnation proceedings in order to obtain just compensation awards in excess of the initial offer made by the condemning authority
Jim is a member of the Chicago Bar Association.
- January 11, 2017
- September 20, 2016
- August 28, 2016
- July 31, 2016
- May 2, 2016
- May 1, 2016