- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois/Trial Bar Member
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois/Bankruptcy
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Nebraska
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Arizona
University of Wisconsin-Madison (B.A.)
University of Wisconsin Law School (J.D.)
Jamie is a partner in Burke, Warren, MacKay & Serritella’s litigation, appellate, health care and religious organization groups. For many years, she has worked with faith-based hospitals and Continuing Care Retirement Communities on a variety of litigation matters, including payor-payee disputes, medical privilege hearings, employment, evictions, trademarks, and general commercial business disputes. Jamie has also handled a wide variety of land use cases for both developers and municipalities, including zoning disputes, adult uses, eminent domain, evictions and land use disputes under the Administrative Review Law. She has handled matters in both state and federal court, and has also represented several clients through the appeals process. Jamie has also handled several arbitrations and mediations.
- Represented a Medicare Advantage Plan network to recoup overpayments.
- Represented a wind farm developer in several related cases against objecting property owners challenging the issuance of a special use permit to construct the wind farm.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of an Illinois Village to take, by eminent domain, restrictive covenants being used to prevent the development of senior citizen housing.
- Represented a frozen seafood importer in a TRO proceeding against a competitor for trade dress and trademark infringement under the Lanham Act.
- Represented a transportation company against a competitor for trademark infringement.
- Represented an insurance company in a discrimination case under the ADA.
- Successfully settled case representing a physical and occupational service provider against a class action suit for violations of the FISA and IWPCA.
- Represented a hospital at a medical privileges’ hearing whereby a doctor’s medical privileges were not renewed by the hospital.
- Represented an organization providing housing for adults with autism in a fair housing case against a condominium association trying to block the sale of a condo unit to the organization.
- Represented a furniture company in a TRO proceeding against a competitor for violations of the Illinois Trade Secrets Act for using pricing and customer lists.
- Successfully represented a home for the developmentally disabled against the City of Markham for housing discrimination in a TRO proceeding and obtaining one of the largest settlements for a housing discrimination suit in Illinois history.
- Obtained summary judgment for a Fortune 100 food company in a right to publicity case related to the company’s advertisements for baby food.
- Defended a food company in a product liability case related to an allegedly contaminated food product.
- Represented a home delivery company in a defamation and unfair competition case against a competitor related to claims made by the competitor to a prospective customer.
- Defended a hospital in an estate case where a substantial gift to the hospital was challenged by the executor of the estate on grounds of incompetency.
Trial and appellate experience:
- Successfully represented a developer against the City of Moline in a challenge to the city’s denial of the developer’s zoning request to construct a concrete recycling plant.
- Successfully represented a developer in an Administrative Review action against the City of Park Ridge, Illinois for denying a site plan application.
- Successfully defended a northeast Illinois county at trial regarding the constitutionality of its zoning ordinance prohibiting a single-family home development in a primarily agricultural area and successfully represented the county on appeal to the Illinois Appellate Court for the Second District.
- Successfully represented an Illinois municipality at trial regarding the enforceability of its zoning code prohibiting basement and garage dwelling units, and successfully representing the municipality on appeal to the Illinois Appellate Court for the Second District.
- Successfully defended the City of Marshall, Illinois at trial regarding the constitutionality of its adult use ordinance; and successfully represented the City on appeal before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit.
- Successfully defended an action for breach of contract, fraud and breach of fiduciary duty in a partnership dispute before a 3-member FINRA arbitration panel.
- Obtained a favorable judgment for defendants at bench trial for a breach of contract claim regarding school housing for college student.
- Defended an owner of a privately managed hunting preserve against the U.S. Government in an eminent domain case, resulting in a property valuation over seven times the Government’s initial offer.
- Defended a commercial real estate firm in a jury trial from claims of its employee for commission of over $1 million resulting in an award to plaintiff of less than 15% of damages sought.
Jamie has been a speaker at and presented mock trial demonstrations at State and National level long-term health care conferences including WAHSA, AAHSA and CAHSA.
- April 28, 2018
- October 31, 2017
Events & Speaking Engagements
- “Litigation and the Freedom of Information Act”November 7, 2014
- “Litigation and the Freedom of Information Act”November 8, 2013
- "Developments in E-Discovery and Its Impact on Litigation"November 30, 2011
- “Best Practices and Emerging Issues – Are You Prepared?”GMA Consumer Complaints Conference, May 5, 2011