- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. Supreme Court
University of Notre Dame (B.A., cum laude, 1987)
Georgetown University Law Center (J.D., cum laude, 1990)
John A. Darrow, a partner at Burke, Warren, MacKay & Serritella, is a leading health care attorney, with a particular focus on pharmaceutical distribution, contracting, and compliance. For more than twenty years, he has provided exceptional guidance to pharmacy benefit management companies (PBMs), pharmacies, manufacturers, and other health care entities. He has been heavily involved in virtually every aspect of pharmaceutical rebate contracting, product distribution, and product support services. Clients value his experienced legal advice and his appreciation of the business demands they face. Mr. Darrow’s thoughtful legal architecture is reflected by the wide adoption of many of his business and contracting models by PBMs, health plans, pharmacies, and manufacturers. Mr. Darrow serves as Co-Chair of the Firm's Health Care practice.
Mr. Darrow also has extensive experience in corporate representation. He provides guidance to clients on corporate formation, private offerings, venture capital, joint ventures, mergers and acquisitions, corporate reorganizations, and day-to-day business operation, contracting, and management. His client base ranges from start-up businesses and closely held middle market companies to Fortune 20 corporations.
Mr. Darrow's clients have frequently relied on his expertise to provide regulatory due diligence in mergers and acquisitions. Clients have expressed profound appreciation for his ability to identify and assess legal and business risks that not only materially affect the valuation of the deal, but would also create significant post-closing liability.
An expert in health care fraud and abuse, Mr. Darrow provides his clients with ongoing guidance necessary to successfully navigate the business and legal challenges of these complex laws. He has been responsible for the preparation of corporate compliance policies, has helped develop corporate codes of conduct, and has provided extensive compliance training for in-house legal departments and their business counterparts. He has also been called on to conduct internal compliance audits and to provide guidance on the best manner to address the audit findings. His expertise in regulatory areas also extends to state and federal telemarketing compliance and consumer lending.
Mr. Darrow holds a B.A., with honors, from the University of Notre Dame and was awarded his J.D., with honors, from Georgetown University Law Center. He is a member of the American Health Lawyers Association.
Transactions in which Mr. Darrow has been involved include:
- Lead regulatory counsel on multibillion-dollar acquisition of pharmacy benefit management company
- Lead counsel on multimillion-dollar divestiture of home health care business with operations in Europe, Asia, and North America
- Lead counsel on multimillion-dollar divestiture of drug distribution business
- Lead counsel on multimillion-dollar acquisition of clinical research company
- Lead counsel on multimillion-dollar divestiture of disease management business
- Lead counsel on multimillion-dollar clinical research collaboration
- Lead counsel for venture capital fund, including formation, capitalization, and investments
Honors & Awards
- AV Preeminent rating from Martindale Hubbell
- One of 40 Under 40 Outstanding Illinois Attorneys, Chicago Lawyer Magazine
Cross-Country and Track Coach, Notre Dame Grade School
- State Champions, 2012 and 2014
American Health Lawyers Association, member
- August 27, 2015
- March 5, 2014
- October 1, 2010