Practices & Industries
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
College of the Holy Cross, (B.A., 1986)
IIT Chicago-Kent College of Law (J.D., with honors, 1990)
- Dean's Honors List
- Dean's Advisory Council
- Recipient of the J.W. Cavanaugh Scholarship
- Earned the IIT Chicago-Kent Class Awards in Trial Advocacy and Constitutional Law
Joseph Roddy is a partner in Burke, Warren, MacKay & Serritella's Litigation practice, with a concentration on employment litigation; government regulatory law; and land use, zoning, and regulatory law. Mr. Roddy focuses his practice on business litigation, white-collar defense, and government relations. Additionally, as a subset of his litigation work, Mr. Roddy represents entities involved in internal corporate and municipal investigations.
Mr. Roddy was previously a partner at Freeborn & Peters LLP in Chicago. Prior to that, he served in the Cook County State's Attorneys' office where he prosecuted more than thirty-five jury trials and argued eleven cases before various panels of the Illinois Appellate Court. Mr. Roddy assisted in the investigation of the Gangster Disciples street gang and testified at the trials as part of the United States government's successful prosecution of the gang. In November 2002, Mr. Roddy was named as General Counsel to the Illinois Inauguration for the Constitutional Offices of Illinois. In addition to his service on behalf of the State government, Mr. Roddy was a member of a committee established to advise Commissioners of Cook County on the County's court system.
Mr. Roddy was awarded his J.D., with honors, from IIT Chicago-Kent College of Law, where he was on both the Dean's Honors list and the Dean's Advisory Council. He was the recipient of the J.W. Cavanaugh Scholarship and earned the IIT Chicago-Kent Class Awards in Trial Advocacy and Constitutional Law. Mr. Roddy earned his B.A. from the College of the Holy Cross in Worcester, Massachusetts.
Mr. Roddy was also an adjunct professor of Trial Advocacy at IIT Chicago-Kent College of Law from 2003 until recently. He is admitted to practice in Illinois and the United States District Court, Northern District of Illinois.
Some of Mr. Roddy's notable transactions include:
- Lead trial counsel defending FedEx National in a retaliatory discharge jury trial in the Northern District of Illinois, where plaintiff sought in excess of $1 million dollars for compensatory and punitive damages (after a week long trial, the jury found in favor of FedEx National)
- Lead trial counsel on behalf of a real estate development company in a breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duty action against a national operator of parking garages (after a one-week jury trial in Cook County, the jury returned a verdict in trial counsel's favor and awarded approximately $500,000—the full amount requested and permissible under the statutes involved)
- Lead defense counsel on behalf of the City of Chicago and the Chicago Police Department in a Section 1983 Civil Rights class action matter seeking in excess of $15 million from the City (after almost five years of litigation, secured summary judgment on behalf of the City and the Chicago Police Department)
- Lead defense counsel on behalf of the City of Chicago and the Committee on Finance in a breach of contract action brought by a prominent Chicago law firm seeking approximately $700,000 in fees (successfully moved to dismiss three separate complaints brought by the law firm—two in the Circuit Court of Cook County and one in the Northern District of Illinois)
- Lead counsel for a Chicago software development company in a breach of fiduciary duty and conspiracy action brought against a former employee and the company's main competitor (secured a six-figure settlement from the competitor and other favorable concessions)
- Conducted internal investigation at a Fortune 100 company regarding employment issues and advised company on best practices going forward
Honors & Awards
- American Legion, State of Illinois Award of Excellence 2007
Advisory Committee to Commissioners of Cook County
General Counsel, Illinois Inauguration for the Constitutional Offices of Illinois
Adjunct Professor of Trial Advocacy at IIT Chicago-Kent College of Law, 2003–2011
- December 11, 2017
- What You Need To Know About Internal InvestigationsOctober 17, 2016
- January 6, 2014
- August 10, 2011