University of Michigan, Ann Arbor (B.B.A. 1995)
University Of Wisconsin (J.D., cum laude, 2002)
- Vice President – Evans of the Moot Court Executive Board
Joe von Meier’s practice at Burke, Warren, MacKay & Serritella features a broad array of commercial real estate disciplines with a particular focus on student housing, multi‑family, luxury residential, and retail development. With a local and national client base, Mr. von Meier possesses vast experience forming joint ventures, corporations, and partnerships for the purpose of investing in and developing property. He acts as general counsel for a prominent Chicagoland development and construction company with more than $200 million in completed projects. Mr. von Meier also represents a Chicago‑based, award-winning, national student housing developer in financing, construction, and operations‑related matters. Beyond development and construction, Mr. von Meier represents investors, landlords, tenants, and owner/operators in financing, entity formation, real estate acquisitions and dispositions, office and retail leases, zoning, and municipal law matters.
A former summer associate with Burke, Warren and former chair of the Summer Associate Committee, Mr. von Meier is a dedicated leader within the Firm’s Real Estate Practice Group.
- Purchase and development of Transit‑Oriented Developments featuring retail and multi-family elements along Milwaukee Avenue in Chicago’s Bucktown and Wicker Park neighborhoods.
- Development of a forty unit, loft‑style, adaptive reuse condominium project in Chicago’s River North neighborhood.
- Purchase and development of an eleven unit, high‑end townhome project within a Planned Unit Development in Chicago’s Lincoln Park neighborhood.
- Acquisition, development, and disposition of multiple luxury, single‑family homes in Chicago’s Lincoln Park and Bucktown neighborhoods with an average sales price of $3,500,000.
- Acquisition, development, and disposition of a condominium conversion featuring twenty‑eight units in Chicago’s Lincoln Park neighborhood.
- Retail build-out of Chicago and suburban restaurants Momotaro, Smylie Bros. Brewery, Brown Bag Seafood, Girl & the Goat, GT Fish & Oyster, Tortoise Club, Brindille, G.E.B., and Native Foods as well as retail build-outs of the Oak Street location of Hermes of Paris, the Rush Street location of Oliver Peoples, Trunk Club, Scotch & Soda, Diptyque, and Steven Alan.
- Development of award‑winning, student housing projects in Arizona, Illinois, Mississippi, Oregon, South Carolina, and Wisconsin.
- Sale of fully-stabilized student housing developments to a national real estate investment management firm.
Honors & Awards
- Mr. von Meier has been recognized in the 2009, 2010, 2011, and 2012 editions of Illinois Super Lawyers magazine as a “Rising Star” in Real Estate law.
- November 10, 2015
- June 24, 2015
- May 10, 2015
- May 24, 2010
- March 29, 2010
- January 11, 2010