University of Notre Dame (B.A., with honors, 1990)
University of Illinois Law School (J.D., magna cum laude, 1994)
Patrick Bruks is the chair of Burke, Warren, MacKay & Serritella’s Corporate Group and has been practicing transactional law for more than twenty years. He represents entrepreneurs, closely held and family owned businesses, publicly traded companies, and governmental entities on a wide variety of transactions, such as mergers and acquisitions, debt and equity financings, licensing and intellectual property matters, legislative issues, customer and supplier contracts, employment and non-compete agreements, as well as an international music festival and the renovation and operation of an NFL stadium. Many of Mr. Bruks' clients utilize him as their outside general counsel.
The following is a representative list of Mr. Bruks' transactions:
- Represented the maker of Aerobeds® in connection with the sale of its business to a private equity firm.
- Represented the shareholders of Insight Beverages, Inc. in connection with their sale to Kerry Foods.
- Represented Deluxe Packaging Corp. in connection with its purchase of General Packaging Products, Inc.
- Represented Pinnacle Banc Group in connection with its $250 million merger with and into Old Kent Financial Corporation.
- Represented the City of Chicago and the Chicago Park District in connection with the $600 million Renovation of Soldier Field and Redevelopment of Burnham Park.
- Represented the Chicago Park District in connection with the Lollapalooza Music Festival in Grant Park.
- Represented a local bank in connection with financing the acquisition of the Chicago Theatre.
- Represented a radio station holding company in its acquisition and disposition of numerous stations.
- Represented several multinational manufacturers in licensing and development deals, acquisitions and joint ventures, and customer and supplier agreements.
- Represented start-up businesses on all types of formation issues ranging from determining the appropriate equity and compensation structures to addressing and resolving issues among owners.
- Represented executives on their employment agreements as well as their severance packages.
- Represented a number of closely held and family owned business as their outside general counsel.
During the course of his practice, Mr. Bruks has created and developed a process for analyzing any contract using "Ten and Only Ten Basic Questions." This process has been successfully applied to all types of contracts ranging from simple handshake deals to hundred-page agreements drafted by a team of lawyers. For over a decade, Mr. Bruks has been teaching and giving seminars to both attorneys and business people on how the "Ten Basic Questions" and his process can provide a significant competitive advantage in analyzing and negotiating any contract.
Mr. Bruks is an adjunct professor at DePaul University College of Law, where he teaches a course on Mergers and Acquisitions. He is also an adjunct professor at the University of Illinois College of Law where he teaches a Transactional Law Practicum.
Mr. Bruks has also written three books:
- Analyzing Contracts – A Universal Process for Analyzing any Contract using Ten and Only Ten Basic Questions
- Drafting Contracts – Twenty Drafting Techniques to Maximize Rights and Minimize Obligations
- Mergers and Acquisitions – A Universal Process for Analyzing any M&A Contract using Ten and Only Ten Basic Questions
- September 15, 2016
- October 1, 2015
- August 7, 2013
- Bruks' Contract Circle: A Universal Process for Analyzing Any Contract Using Ten and Only Ten Basic QuestionsAugust 1, 2013