University of Notre Dame (B.A., 2006)
DePaul University College of Law (J.D., 2009)
Stephen R. Schuster is a partner in Burke, Warren, MacKay & Serritella's Real Estate and Corporate groups. Steve has represented clients in transactions involving nearly every aspect of the real estate business, including acquisitions and dispositions, leasing, development, construction, municipal incentives and entitlements, joint ventures, and finance. He has also represented clients in connection with entity formation and operations as well as merger and acquisitions transactions. Steve has worked with and on behalf of numerous Burke, Warren clients across all practice disciplines, including governmental entities, private and individual developers, operating businesses, real estate funds, institutional investors, lenders, general contractors, and family offices.
- Represented a private developer in connection with the development of build-to-suit and speculative medical offices, wellness centers, and industrial buildings, including negotiating development agreements and financial incentives with municipalities and negotiating leases and purchase agreements with end users
- Represented a public housing agency in connection with a $25 million redevelopment of existing low-income housing units, including coordinating with a donation tax credit buyer, assisting in obtaining an Illinois Housing Development Authority grant, negotiating with private and governmental lenders, and becoming one of the first projects to utilize HUD’s new RAD program
- Represented a private developer in connection with the RFP and ground leasing of a highly sought-after site from a governmental entity, to be further subleased into several different subdevelopment parcels and developed as a mixed-use hotel, retail, residential, and medical office/laboratory development
- Represented a private developer in connection with obtaining complex City of Chicago zoning and subdivision approvals necessary to construct townhomes and single-family homes on a square-block site
- Represented a family office in connection with a $300 million relocation of its corporate headquarters
- Represented tenants and institutional landlords in connection with the leasing of several million square feet of industrial space
- Coordinated the real estate aspects of a $600 million equity purchase transaction on behalf of a technology company
- Represented a real estate fund in connection with the sale of 250 acres of land to a publicly traded mining company for use as a silica sand mine, including negotiating complex royalty and security agreements
- Represented a real estate operator in connection with the acquisition of five, fully leased River North, mid-rise office buildings
Honors & Awards
- Illinois Super Lawyer since 2016
- CALI award, Contracts I & II*
- 2014 “Best Health Care Development/Renovation,” Milwaukee Business Journal
- * CALI awards are given to the highest scoring student in the law school class.
- Steve has served on the Associate Board of the Legal Aid Society (an arm of Metropolitan Family Services) since 2011 and is currently the vice president of the Board.
- Steve has served on the Planning Committee of the Friends of the Chicago River since early 2014, assisting in evaluating proposals from developers and other users in the context of preserving and celebrating the Chicago River as an asset to the Chicago community.
- Steve currently sits on the Networking Committee of the St. Ignatius College Prep Alumni Association.
- August 29, 2018
- April 28, 2018
- April 19, 2018
- December 15, 2016
- October 12, 2016
- May 2, 2016
- May 10, 2015
- July 7, 2014
- May 14, 2010