Practices & Industries
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois (including Trial Bar)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 9th Circuit
St. Mary's College (B.F.A.)
University of Notre Dame (M.A.)
Notre Dame Law School (J.D.)
Susan Horner is the chair and founder of Burke, Warren, MacKay & Serritella's Appellate group. She is also a member of the Litigation, Religious Organizations, Tax-Exempt Organizations, Consumer Financial Services Litigation, Internal Investigations, and Not-for-Profit and Planned Giving practices.
Ms. Horner works with corporate, not-for-profit, and government clients to help them navigate all stages of litigation. Her practice is informed by her prior experience as an assistant state's attorney for Cook County, where Ms. Horner prosecuted more than thirty-five jury trials and hundreds of bench trials and also prosecuted and defended against appeals. Since joining Burke, Warren, Ms. Horner has expanded her practice to include risk management counselling, internal investigations, and alternative dispute resolution. Ms. Horner has handled appeals before the Illinois Supreme Court and Appellate Court, as well as the Federal Courts of Appeals for the Seventh and Ninth Circuits. These appeals involve a wide variety of subjects such as the First Amendment, mortgage banking, business torts, professional misconduct, consumer fraud, and defamation. In addition, Ms. Horner counsels government clients on compliance with "sunshine laws" such as the Illinois Freedom of Information and Open Meetings Acts.
Ms. Horner is a member of Burke, Warren's Marketing Committee.
- Lab Townhomes, LLC v. Henderson Square Condo. Ass'n, Ill. Sup. Ct. No. 118139 (amicus brief in support of developers' challenge of ordinance claim)
- Anderson v. Catholic Bishop of Chicago, 759 F.3d 645 (7th Cir. 2014) (affirmed dismissal of individual and class action claims)
- Wells Fargo Bank v. Tomas, 2014 IL App (1st) 133555-U (affirmed denial of motion to quash service)
- EMC Mortg. Corp. v. Kemp, 2012 IL 113419 (2012) (affirmed dismissal of appeal for lack of jurisdiction)
- LeCompte v. Zoning Bd. of Appeals for Village of Barrington Hills, 2011 IL App (1st) 100423 (affirmed zoning board's cease and desist order)
- Nelson v. Chicago Park Dist., 408 Ill. App. 3d 53 (1st Dist. 2011) (affirmed dismissal of taxpayer action based on res judicata)
- Provena Covenant Medical Center v. Department of Revenue, 236 Ill. 2d 368 (2010) (amicus brief in support of religious exemption from property tax)
- Stepek v. Doe, 392 Ill. App. 3d 739 (1st Dist. 2009) (pursuant to writ of mandamus ordering circuit court to certify question to appellate court; defamation, and intentional infliction of emotional distress claims barred by the First Amendment)
Appellate Lawyers Association, Rules Committee
7th Circuit Bar Association
- November 20, 2015
- September 15, 2014
- featuring Stephen C. Voris, Susan M. Horner, Victoria R. Collado, Jay S. Dobrutsky, George J. Lynch, James C. Geoly, Edward J. Lesniak, Frederic A. Mendelsohn, Gerard D. Ring, April 5, 2010
- February 1, 2010