- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois (Trial Bar)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit
- District of Columbia
University of Wisconsin-Madison, B.S. Mechanical Engineering
DePaul University College of Law, J.D., cum laude
- Judicial Extern, U.S. District Judge Ruben Castillo
- Intern, U.S. Attorney’s Office, Northern District of Illinois
- Intern, ACLU-Illinois
- Georges Fellow, Shedd Aquarium
Brandon R. Clark is a litigation associate at Burke, Warren, MacKay & Serritella, where he represents companies and individuals in a variety of civil matters in numerous forums, including state and federal courts at both the trial and appellate level, and in ADR proceedings. Brandon has twice been named a Rising Star by Super Lawyers magazine. Previously, Brandon practiced at the international law firms of Pillsbury, Winthrop, Shaw, Pittman LLP in its Washington, D.C. office and Proskauer Rose LLP in its Chicago office.
Brandon maintains a broad-based practice focused on resolving manifold complex commercial disputes. He frequently represents members of the construction industry, particularly developers, general contractors, and design engineers, in disputes involving technically complex construction defect claims and related policyholder insurance recovery actions. Brandon has successfully prosecuted and defended claims on behalf of domestic and international clients involving claims of project delay, project cost overrun, construction defect, design defect, breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, and other complex issues; he has obtained insurance coverage for many of his clients. Brandon has also represented clients ranging from venture capitalist driven start-ups to closely held companies to publicly traded Fortune 500 companies in commercial litigation, arbitration, and mediation of critical importance.
Brandon earned his B.S. in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Wisconsin-Madison, and his J.D., cum laude, from DePaul University, where he was awarded the prestigious Senior Service Award and the Benjamin Hooks Distinguished Public Service Award. Prior to pursuing his legal education, Brandon was a senior mechanical engineer for a large Chicago-based consulting firm where he focused on analytically addressing safety-related regulatory issues for nuclear power plants.
Additionally, Brandon maintains an active pro bono practice, including representing an Illinois prisoner seeking exoneration in post-conviction proceedings before the Illinois Supreme Court, and also, on appointment by the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, a federal prisoner claiming civil rights violations while in the custody of state and federal prisons.
- Defended venture capitalist led start-up in enforcement action aggressively pursued by municipality, which involved numerous alleged municipal code violations fatal to venture.
- Negotiated settlement of a breach of contract action between regional shopping center and national restaurant chain related to restaurant’s untimely closure.
- Prosecuted claims on behalf of general contractor for breach of contract and fiduciary duty against its insurance broker for failures related to its establishment of a Contractor Controlled Insurance Program (CCIP) for the construction of a professional sports arena.
- Lead counsel in appeal on behalf of Illinois prisoner seeking post-conviction relief on account of claimed actual innocence; video recording of argument before Illinois Supreme Court available here.
- Prosecuted, defended, and obtained favorable resolution of numerous claims on behalf of regional general contractor arising from delayed, over-budget, and generally troubled construction of elementary school.
- Defended third-party structural engineer from claims of professional negligence in long-running dispute over construction of regional public transit project.
- Obtained defense judgment in arbitration on claims totaling nearly $200 million arising from project delays and cost overruns in construction of gas processing facility.
- Prosecuted claims on behalf of developer against contractor and multiple subcontractors involving latent defects in construction of regional shopping center.
Insurance Recovery Litigation
- Mediated to favorable settlement, insurance claim exceeding $40 million, arising from alleged professional negligence in design of major international waterway project.
- Obtained coverage for manufacturer for costs associated with safety recall of successive generations of product line under multiple safety recall insurance policies.
- Secured contribution from underinsured tenant on behalf of Fortune 1000 REIT following property damage due to Hurricane Michael and favorably settled claim with client’s own property insurer for remaining loss.
Honors & Awards
- Super Lawyers Rising Star – 2018 (DC), 2020 (Chicago)
- DePaul College of Law, Senior Service Award - 2014
- DePaul College of Law, Benjamin Hooks Distinguished Public Service Award - 2014
- Shriver Center on Poverty Law, Professionals’ Council – 2018-present
- Legal Aid Chicago, Ambassadors Board – 2018-present
- Federal Bar Association, Younger Lawyers’ Division Committee – 2018-present
- DePaul Law Alumni Engagement Board – 2018-2020
- Art Institute of Chicago, Sustaining Fellows’ Programming Committee – 2018-present