- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
Carthage College (B.A., summa cum laude 2014)
- Characterquest: Certification in Team, Leadership, and Character Development
- College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin Merle Chapman Award Winner (2013-14)
- Cross Country/ Track & Field, Co-Captain (2013); Scholar Athlete (2012 & 2013)
University of Illinois College of Law (J.D., magna cum laude, 2017)
- Harno Scholar, top 10% (Spring 2015, Fall 2015)
- Touro Law Center’s National Moot Court Competition in Law & Religion – Team Semifinalist, 6th Place Oralist
- Trial Team
- Dean’s List
Eric Bernard is an associate in Burke, Warren, MacKay & Serritella’s Litigation group. He supports client service efforts throughout the litigation process with research, regular court appearances, discovery, and by drafting various pleadings and motions in both state and federal court. Eric has represented clients in a wide variety of civil matters, including commercial, real estate, employment, and tort disputes.
Eric earned his B.A., summa cum laude, from Carthage College and his J.D., magna cum laude, from University of Illinois College of Law.
Prior to law school, Eric served as a congressional district intern for the Illinois 13th Congressional District, and additionally interned at two suburban law firms. He was a summer associate at the Firm during the summer of 2016.
- Second chair in $1.2 million bench trial in contract reformation dispute; performed direct examination of expert witness
- Took plaintiff's deposition and drafted motion for summary judgment in federal employment discrimination case
- Drafted state court appellate brief on behalf of pro bono client in a commercial dispute, and negotiated a favorable settlement
- Draft pleadings and dispositive motions, including motions for summary judgment in a wide variety of civil matters, including commercial, real estate, employment, and tort dispute
- Conduct written and oral discovery in both state and federal court, including taking and defending depositions
Honors & Awards
- Touro Law Center’s National Moot Court Competition in Law & Religion Semifinalist; 6th Place Oralist