Practices & Industries
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
University of Iowa (B.A., 2005)
Loyola University Chicago School of Law (J.D., summa cum laude, 2012)
- Executive Editor of the Illinois Symposium—an issue of the Loyola Law Journal dedicated to topics in Illinois law
- Editor/Contributor for Loyola's Education Law and Policy Society’s newsletter
- Tutored first-year law students in Constitutional Law
- Awarded the 2010–2011 Honorable Thomas R. Mulroy Award in Evidence
- Received CALI Awards in Appellate Advocacy, Federal Taxation and Corporate/Partnership Taxation
Eric P. VanderPloeg is a partner in Burke, Warren, MacKay & Serritella’s Litigation, Automotive Franchise, and Consumer Financial Services Litigation practice groups. Mr. VanderPloeg handles an array of commercial matters in both state and federal court, which range from simple contract disputes to complex commercial and business disputes. His practice focuses on litigation involving Chicago-area real estate owners and professionals, disputes involving automobile dealerships, including employment, buy-sell, and franchising matters, and litigation between shareholders and business partners, including breach of fiduciary duty and fraud cases. In addition, Mr. VanderPloeg has represented employers in discrimination and wage-and-hour claims before administrative agencies, including the Illinois Department of Labor and the EEOC. He has also advised and represented creditors in the collection and enforcement of judgments and security interests.
Mr. VanderPloeg was a summer associate with Burke, Warren in 2011. He is admitted to practice in Illinois, including the United States District Court and United States Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of Illinois.
- Mr. VanderPloeg has represented clients in the following decisions:
- Nissan N. Am., Inc. v. Motor Vehicle Review Bd., 2014 IL App (1st) 123795, ¶ 9 (affirming Illinois Motor Vehicle Review Board decision against vehicle manufacturer following protest by dealers over abusive warranty practices)
- Cont'l Air Transp. Co. v. United States, 14 F. Supp. 3d 1094 (N.D. Ill. Jan. 31, 2014) (awarding partial summary judgment on liability to taxpayer in gasoline excise tax refund litigation)
- Elgazar v. Zoning Bd. of Appeals of City of Chicago, 2015 IL App (1st) 140968-U (affirming client’s zoning variation on administrative review).
- Keporos v. Loquercio Auto. S., Inc., 2016 IL App (1st) 151074-U, ¶ 3 (trial court) – Successfully obtained judgment on the pleadings and summary judgment for specific performance of an option to purchase a multi-million dollar parcel of real estate in Chicago
- KNM Holdings, Inc. v. James, 2016 IL App (1st) 143008, ¶ 6 (trial court) – Represented creditor in enforcement of judgment and recovery of over $200,000 in assets, and assisted in defending the judgment against a post-judgment motion
In addition, Mr. VanderPloeg has assisted clients in significant unpublished court victories, including:
- Dismissal of fraud and breach of contract claims in excess of $1,000,000 against car dealer
- Dismissal of discrimination and retaliation complaints filed with the EEOC and state administrative agencies
- Assistance in obtaining significant award for franchisor against franchisee in AAA commercial arbitration
Honors & Awards
- In 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020, Mr. VanderPloeg was named as a Rising Star by Super Lawyers®, an attorney rating service from Thompson Reuters.
- During law school, Mr. VanderPloeg was awarded the 2010–2011 Honorable Thomas R. Mulroy Award in Evidence and received CALI awards in Appellate Advocacy, Federal Taxation, and Corporate/Partnership Taxation. He was the Executive Editor of the Loyola Law Journal’s 2011–2012 Illinois Symposium, an issue dedicated to topics on Illinois law and procedure.
Mr. VanderPloeg is a member of the Chicago Bar Association. He has also represented clients pro bono through the Legal Aid Society of Metropolitan Family Services of Chicago.
Mr. VanderPloeg was accepted as a member of the National Association of Dealer Counsel (NADC), a national organization that provides industry specific education and information to attorneys representing automotive dealers. VanderPloeg joins firm attorneys, Bill Kelly, Ira Levin, and Jay Statland, who are all existing NADC members. As NADC members, BWMS’s attorneys have access to a vast network of industry contacts and resources, which allows the firm to provide superior service to dealers in Illinois and throughout the nation.
- March 26, 2020
- March 25, 2020
- December 16, 2019
- September 20, 2018
- August 29, 2018
- Appellate Ruling Highlights Risk For Out-Of-State Employers Under Illinois Wage Payment And Collection ActMay 23, 2018
- May 2, 2018
- September 18, 2017
- September 20, 2016
- July 31, 2016
- December 6, 2012
- November 19, 2012