Augustana College (B.A., Accounting and Finance 1992)
Valparaiso University School of Law (J.D., cum laude, 1995)
John Kobus is a partner at Burke, Warren, MacKay & Serritella, P.C. He concentrates his practice in Corporate and Real Estate law. He counsels clients on private equity transactions, mergers and acquisitions, corporate restructurings, commercial and industrial leasing, sale and disposition of commercial property, and other corporate and real estate transactional matters.
He also serves as general corporate counsel to numerous privately held businesses, including middle market manufacturers and distributors, start-up entities, and technology companies and service providers, advising such businesses on general corporate matters, including operating agreements, shareholder agreements, buy-sell agreements, consulting and employment arrangements, severance and non-competition agreements, asset and stock sales and purchase agreements, and capital raises.
In his real estate practice, Mr. Kobus represents both purchasers and sellers of commercial and industrial real estate and has substantial experience in negotiating and drafting commercial and industrial leases (representing both landlords and tenants).
Mr. Kobus has received Martindale-Hubbell's highest rating of AV Preeminent, which is a testament to the fact that his peers rank him at the highest level of professional excellence and legal ability.
Prior to joining Burke, Warren, he practiced in the corporate and real estate law groups of a Chicago-based firm and prior to that with Kirkland & Ellis in their mergers and acquisitions and venture capital groups.
- Represented a Kansas-based experiential marketing company in the sale of substantially all of its assets in a transaction valued in excess of $50 million
- Represented Fortune 500 public company in the communications and security products and electrical and electronic wire and cable industries in a variety of corporate and real estate matters
- Represented a large Chicago-based metal stamping, fabrication, and assembly company in a general counsel role on variety of corporate- and real-estate-related matters, which included: the formation of a Hong Kong subsidiary and the preparation and negotiation of a manufacturing and distribution agreement with a Chinese manufacturing company; multiple small- to mid-sized asset acquisitions; the negotiation of supply and warranty agreements with Navistar, Visteon, and other automotive and other manufacturers; and other general corporate, employment, and real estate counseling matters
- Represented Chicago-based international supplier of CPR and health care training products in general counsel role on variety of corporate and real estate matters, which included: the formation of subsidiaries in Mexico and Brazil; preparation and negotiation of distributorship agreements, employee handbooks, and other employment matters; and other general corporate counseling
- Represented a Chicago-based distillery in connection with certain capital raises, leasing, and other general corporate and real estate matters
- Represented a Chicago-based real estate fund in investments in and acquisitions of public storage facilities, their corporate restructuring and equity recapitalization, and other general corporate matters
- Represented a large Illinois-based independent, real estate brokerage firm in connection with its general corporate and real estate matters, including advising on and handling of strategic investments by owners of brokerage firm, restructuring real estate and other investments, and real estate acquisitions and dispositions
- Represented large Kansas-based experiential marketing company with its acquisition of a Canadian marketing service organization and other general corporate matters
- Represented a large Chicago-based, long-term industrial real estate investor in all of its industrial leasing transactions and matters in Illinois and Texas
- Represented Chicago-based real estate fund in a variety of real investment transactions and other corporate, real estate, and restructuring transactions including investments in commercial real estate developments in Illinois and Arizona
- Represented a large Chicago-based, multimedia company in connection with several of its acquisitions of substantially all of the assets of several internet and app-based companies
- Represented Fortune 500 public company in the heavy construction equipment industry with its acquisition of commercial real estate in Norcross, Georgia, and other real estate matters
- Represented Fortune 500 public company in insurance industry in a variety of general contract review and corporate counseling matters
- Represented supplier to private-label and food services industries in its acquisition of commercial real estate in San Antonio, Texas, and other real estate matters
- Represented online resume-search, application program-interface company in connection with multiple capital raises, lending, employment, and other general corporate matters
- Represented a financial institution in the purchase of distressed debt and commercial real estate loans
- Represented a start-up, Chicago-based company in technology industry in general counsel role, including managing capital raises, negotiation and preparation of endorsement and license agreements, and other general corporate matters
- Represented a Chicago-based golf technology company in general counsel role, which included development and negotiation of sales agency and equipment purchase agreement for golf-based technology equipment and other general corporate matters
- Represented the primary owner of a closely held consulting business in connection with the reorganization and economic negotiations with the other business owners
- Represented a provider of real-time,multi-asset, financial market data company in $50-million investment by a private equity fund
- Represented start-up ventures in various commercial enterprises engaged primarily in software development and licensing, real estate development and leasing, manufacturing and distribution of products, various service-related activities, and various manufacturing activities
Honors & Awards
- AV Preeminent Rating by Martindale-Hubbell
- The Chicago Bar Association, member
- American Bar Association, member