Practices & Industries
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Central District of Illinois
Huntington University (B.S., English Education, magna cum laude, 2009)
Loyola University Chicago School of Law (J.D., magna cum laude, 2015)
Joshua ("Josh") J. Cauhorn is an associate in Burke, Warren, MacKay & Serritella's Litigation practice group. He represents companies and individuals in commercial disputes. Josh strives to provide each client a custom-tailored, cost-effective approach to resolving conflicts that recognizes that each case and client is unique. Josh has successfully defended and pursued cases in varying venues – at court, in arbitration and before formal litigation – and involving a myriad of state and federal laws. He has a particular interest in cases implicating international cross-border issues, social enterprise businesses and nonprofit organizations, especially those in the education sector.
Josh earned his B.S. in English Education, magna cum laude, from Huntington University and his J.D., magna cum laude, from the Loyola University Chicago School of Law. Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Cauhorn held a consulting role at an independent school on Chicago’s West Side where he led an effort to develop a financial and organizational strategic plan. He was also an intern at the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Northern District of Illinois as well as a judicial extern at the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois. Additionally, for three years prior to law school, he taught high school English on the West Side of Chicago. Mr. Cauhorn was a summer associate with Burke, Warren in 2014.
Josh has experience representing clients of all sizes, including businesses, nonprofits and individuals, both in the United States and internationally, in a variety of disputes, particularly in contract-related causes of action. He has worked on cases large and small; from recovering hundreds of thousands of dollars for clients in international sales disputes to defending against one-off city of Chicago building code violations involving hundreds of dollars.
Josh’s experience is broad, but centers on:
- disputes arising out of the domestic and international sale of goods;
- disputes involving the sale of real property;
- disputes involving real estate agents;
- disputes involving vehicle transactions;
- issues affecting nonprofit organizations; and
- shareholder and member/manager disputes.
Specific areas of law Josh has litigated include:
- the Uniform Commercial Code;
- the United Nations Convention for the International Sale of Goods;
- the Telephone Consumer Protection Act;
- the California Invasion of Privacy Act;
- the Illinois Real Property Disclosure Act;
- the Illinois Wage Payment and Collection Act;
- the Illinois Consumer Fraud and Deceptive Business Practices Act;
- the Uniform Deceptive Trade Practices Act;
- the Illinois Mechanics Lien Act;
- the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act;
- Breach of contract (and related causes of action such as promissory estoppel);
- Fraud; and
- Related statutes and torts affecting businesses and nonprofits.
Representative cases on which Josh has worked include:
- Pursuing a large American air conditioner and furnace manufacturer on behalf of a Hong Kong-based printed circuit board company after the manufacturer refused to pay, blaming alleged errors with the boards on the company, taking over the case from another, multinational firm.
- Successfully obtaining full recovery, with attorneys' fees, for a real estate broker who was not paid his commission after he represented a landlord in leasing his home, navigating the case through arbitration and collection proceedings.
- Representing an American corporation in a suit for damages against a French company under the Uniform Commercial Code and United Nations Convention for the International Sale of Goods for a defective machine.
- Defending a financial research firm in a hotly-contested and high-stakes class action Telephone Consumer Protection Act case.
- Representing a lessee of high-rise office space in a dispute with a large commercial landlord over the interpretation of its lease.
- Defending several sellers and real estate agents in cases brought by buyers of real estate who allege that the sellers concealed material defects with the subject properties.
- Successfully obtaining a full refund to a car dealership from the city of Chicago in administrative proceedings regarding wrongfully imposed fines for vehicle impoundment.
- Defending a construction and development company against the foreclosure of a mechanics’ lien.
- Representing former real estate agents in a class action Illinois Wage Act and breach of contract suit against their former real estate brokerage.
- Pursuing a large Fortune 500 energy company on behalf of a locally-owned small business in a breach of contract suit.
- Representing a life insurance company in several interpleader actions at the state and federal level, each of which resulted in the client’s early and efficient dismissal.
- Successfully pursuing an insurance company on behalf of a mid-size company for a breach of its duty to defend.
- Representing a car dealership in its claims under the Illinois Consumer Fraud and Deceptive Business Practices Act against a car rental company from which it obtained temporary vehicles for its customers, successfully litigating a motion to dismiss, allowing the dealership's claims to proceed.
- Assisting a nonprofit in rewriting its bylaws to better reflect its actual operation and remove administrative obstacles.
- Pro Bono: Obtaining a favorable settlement for a tenant who was wrongfully evicted from his apartment and whose personal property was damaged after his landlord allowed a pest infestation to overtake the building.
- Pro Bono: Representing a veteran in a discrimination suit against the Social Security Administration.
Honors & Awards
- National Champion and National Best Advocate in the 2015 ABA National Criminal Justice Competition
- Phillip H. Corboy Trial Fellowship, Member and 2015 Captain
- Illinois Judicial Council Scholarship Award 2013-2014
- National Champion in the 2013 William W. Daniel National Mock Trial Competition
- CALI Award, Evidence
- CALI Award, Appellate Advocacy
- CALI Award, Advising Not-For-Profit Organizations
- CALI Award, Federal Litigation Practice
Mercy Home Associate Board, Member
Regional Strategy Team for Illinois Leaders for Educational Equity
Chicago Hope Academy, Board of Directors
Instructor and Coach in the Philip H. Corboy Fellowship for Trial Advocacy at Loyola University Chicago, a prestigious trial advocacy program regularly ranked in the top ten in the nation.
Chicago Bar Association
- September 20, 2018
- Court Decision Provides Business Groups with Partial VictoryMay 22, 2018
- May 2, 2018
- April 28, 2018
- December 8, 2017
- September 18, 2017
- January 11, 2017
- September 20, 2016
- August 28, 2016
- July 31, 2016
- May 2, 2016
- April 2016
- April 13, 2016
- Developing Area Of LawApril 2016
- December 1, 2015
- October 26, 2015
- October 1, 2015
- University of Pennsylvania Journal of Law and Social Change, 2015
- The Loyola University Chicago Journal of Early Education Law And Policy, 2013