Firm to Host Religious Displays on Public Property Panel Discussion on November 3
Firm to host Religious Displays on Public Property panel discussion Nov 3
The firm’s Religious and Not-For-Profit practice will host the Religious Displays on Public Property panel discussion at Fulton’s on the River on November 3.
- Benna Ruth Solomon, Deputy Corporation Counsel Appeals Division, City of Chicago
- Adam Schwartz, Senior Staff Counsel, American Civil Liberties Union
- Katherine S. Janega, Village Attorney, Village of Winnetka
- James Geoly, Partner, Burke, Warren, MacKay & Serritella, P.C.
Jim Serritella will moderate.
Panelists will discuss topics such as:
- Can government create a space for religious expression in the public square?
- When do government attempts to avoid religious endorsements create impermissible burdens on freedom of expression and freedom of religion?
- Is it appropriate to characterize displays as “secular” or “festive” as a means to avoid an establishment clause issue?
- Does it make a difference if displays are paid for by private groups but placed on public land?
- What if government wants to create its own holiday display on public property?
For more information, please contact Jordan Sunderland at (312) 840-7127 or Jsunderland@burkelaw.com.
Subscribe to receive firm announcements, news, alerts and event invitations.