Susan Miller Overbey is a partner at Burke, Warren, MacKay & Serritella, P.C. Ms. Overbey is a member of the firm’s Consumer Financial Services Litigation, Class Action Defense, Religious Organizations, and Not-for-Profit Organizations practice groups.
Ms. Overbey has defended banks, mortgage lenders, and related entities in individual actions, contested foreclosures, and consumer class actions brought in state and federal courts, including claims under the Truth in Lending Act, the Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act, and the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, as well as claims for violations of state consumer protection statutes.
Ms. Overbey also represents religious organizations and not-for-profit organizations in litigation pending in state and federal courts and in alternative dispute resolution settings, including employment matters alleging the negligent hiring and retention of employees, inter-church disputes, and disputes with federal agencies involving religious liberties issues.
Ms. Overbey is licensed to practice in Illinois, the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, the United States District Court for the Northern District of California, the United States District Court for the Southern District of Alabama, and the United States Courts of Appeals for the Seventh, Ninth, and Eleventh Circuits.
While in law school, Ms. Overbey worked as a legal extern for the Honorable Ilana Diamond Rovner of the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit. Ms. Overbey was a summer associate with Burke, Warren in 2005.
The following are examples of decisions in cases in which Ms. Overbey has been significantly involved in representing financial institutions and religious institutions:
- Burke Warren Selects Christine Eduardo and Mathew Musipa to Participate in the Burke Warren 2022 3L Minority Internship ProgramNews,
- Burke Warren a Proud Sponsor of the Archdiocese of Chicago Catholic Schools 2022 Fore the Kids Golf OutingNews,
- Burke Warren Partner Susan Miller Overbey Quoted in CDLB Article Entitled, “Court lacks jurisdiction over church discipline rules, panel affirms”News,
- Adrian Atwater and Jolisa Warmack, Participants in Burke Warren’s Inaugural 3L Minority Internship Program, Accept Offers to Join The FirmNews
- Burke Warren Proud to Partner with JPMorgan Chase and Cabrini Green Legal Aid on Key Chicago Area Pro Bono ProjectsNews
- Publication, Chicago Family Business Council,
Practices & Industries
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Alabama
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
Mount Holyoke College (B.A., magna cum laude, 2003)
University of Illinois College of Law (J.D., cum laude, 2006)
Externship: Justice Ilana Diamond Rovner, United States Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit