David K. Welch is a partner at Burke, Warren, MacKay & Serritella, P.C. Mr. Welch, chair of the firm's Restructuring, Insolvency and Bankruptcy practice, has been practicing law in the State of Illinois since 1982. His practice has always been concentrated in the fields of bankruptcy, reorganization, restructuring, work-outs, insolvency and debtor's and creditor's rights. He has represented debtors, trustees, creditors' committees, secured creditors, lenders, unsecured creditors and equity holders in numerous matters throughout the United States.
From October 1979 through June 1982, Mr. Welch served as Deputy Chapter 13 Trustee in the Northern District of Illinois under Craig Phelps, Chapter 13 Trustee. He has authored articles for the Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education on matters involving bankruptcy and insolvency. He has lectured at seminars relating to bankruptcy issues at the Chicago Bar Association. He has served as a member of the Bankruptcy Mediation Panel Sub-Committee of the Chicago Bar Association. In conjunction with his financial mediation and negotiation training, he has completed a course sponsored by the National Institute for Trial Advocacy in conjunction with Northwestern University.
Among other professional roles, Mr. Welch is the former Chairman of the Chicago Bar Association Committee on Bankruptcy and Reorganization, a former member of the Advisory Board of the American Bankruptcy Institute and the former Vice Chair of the Bankruptcy Court Liaison Committee.
Honors & Awards
- Mr. Welch has been recognized as a “Super Lawyer” in the field of Business Bankruptcy by Illinois Super Lawyers magazine.
- Mr. Welch has been named as a “Leading Lawyer” in the field of Bankruptcy and Workout Law: Commercial by the Illinois Leading Lawyers publication.
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Bankruptcy Court Liaison Committee to the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of Illinois
Former Vice Chair
- Chicago Bar Association
Committee on Bankruptcy and Reorganization, Former Chair
- Illinois State Bar Association
Standing Committee, Former Member
Liaison with the Attorney Registration and Disciplinary Commission
- Burke Warren Partner David Welch Interviewed in WGN TV News Segment Discussing the Dean Foods Bankruptcy CaseNews,
- Burke Warren a Proud Sponsor of the American Bankruptcy Institute 2022 Central States Bankruptcy ConferenceNews,
- The Firm’s Dave Welch Leads Panel Discussion of Industry Leaders at National Meeting for Bankruptcy and InsolvencyNews,
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- Federal Trial Bar
University of Illinois Chicago (B.A.)
John Marshall Law School (J.D., 1982)