Practices & Industries
- U.S. Tax Court
University of Illinois (B.S., cum laude, 1991)
Loyola University of Chicago School of Law (J.D., cum laude, 1994)
- Member of The Loyola University Law Journal
Gregory Winters focuses his practice at Burke, Warren, MacKay & Serritella in the area of income and estate tax planning, regularly counseling executives and owners of closely held businesses on tax issues related to their business and personal lives. Mr. Winters works closely with business owners and their financial advisors and accountants to address tax issues associated with business operations, liquidity events, and succession planning with the goal of providing the most tax efficient means of achieving the clients’ objectives. Mr. Winters also advises executives relative to various compensation issues, including deferred compensation and stock option and restricted stock arrangements.
For individual clients, Mr. Winters regularly assists with strategies to plan gift and estate matters, again with the goal of providing an efficient structure for achieving client objectives. Mr. Winters has provided counsel on numerous gifting techniques, including the creation of charitable trusts, private foundations, and public charities to help clients achieve their philanthropic goals.
Mr. Winters also has significant experience representing individual and business clients in disputes with federal and state taxing authorities and has successfully represented numerous clients before federal and state tax authorities.
Mr. Winters began his career in the Chicago tax practice of Arthur Andersen.
- Advised individuals with respect to various gift and estate planning techniques, including gifting of family business interests, grantor retained annuity trusts, sales to intentionally defective grantor trusts, qualified personal residence trusts, and charitable annuity trusts
- Represented both buyers and sellers in the creation, operation, and sale of multiple, closely held businesses
- Represented closely held business in negotiating succession plan with key, long-term company employee
- Successfully represented multiple clients on audit by the Internal Revenue Service for issues related to federal and estate and gift tax returns
- Successfully represented multiple clients on audit by the Internal Revenue Service for issues related to federal fuel tax credits
- Testified on behalf of prosecution in a tax fraud case brought by federal government against the promoter of a tax shelter
Honors & Awards
- Loyola University Chicago Law Journal, member
Certified Public Accountant, Illinois, 1991-Present
- December 3, 2019
- December 4, 2018
- January 22, 2018
- December 18, 2017
- December 5, 2017
- March 17, 2017
- TAX ALERT: IRS Proposes to Eliminate Valuation Discounts for the Transfer of Interests in Family Owned EntitiesAugust 16, 2016
- December 4, 2010