Practices & Industries
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. Supreme Court
University of Notre Dame (B.A., cum laude, 1987)
Georgetown University Law Center (J.D., cum laude, 1990)
John Darrow concentrates his practice on corporate and health care law. For over twenty-five years, clients have valued his thoughtful legal guidance and his appreciation of competing business demands. His clients range from privately held businesses to Fortune 20 corporations.
Mr. Darrow’s corporate practice encompasses mergers and acquisitions, corporate formation and reorganization, private offerings, venture capital and joint ventures. He has worked extensively in general corporate matters such as shareholder agreements, operating agreements, product sale and purchase agreements, service agreements and employment and severance agreements.
Mr. Darrow is a leading health care attorney, with a particular focus on pharmaceutical distribution, contracting, and compliance. He has extensive experience in virtually every aspect of pharmaceutical rebate contracting, product distribution, and product support services. Mr. Darrow’s legal architecture for business and contracting models has been widely adopted within various industry sectors, including PBMs, health plans, pharmacies and manufacturers.
His clients rely on his expertise to provide regulatory due diligence in mergers and acquisitions. Clients have expressed appreciation for his ability to identify and assess legal and business risks that not only materially affect the valuation of the deal, but could also create significant post-closing liability.
An expert in health care fraud and abuse, Mr. Darrow provides his clients with ongoing guidance necessary to successfully navigate the business and legal challenges of this complex legal and regulatory environment. He has been responsible for the preparation of corporate compliance policies, has helped develop corporate codes of conduct, and has provided extensive compliance training for in-house legal departments and their business counterparts. He has also been called on to conduct internal compliance audits and to provide guidance on the best manner to address the audit findings.
- Twenty-five years of continuous legal counsel to address the contracting, regulatory, compliance and strategic planning needs of a Fortune 20 health care corporation
- Lead counsel on divestiture of home health care business with operations in Europe, Asia, and North America
- Lead regulatory counsel on acquisition of pharmacy benefit management company
- Lead counsel on divestiture of drug distribution business
- Lead counsel on acquisition of clinical research company
- Lead counsel on acquisition of locomotive equipment manufacturer
- Lead counsel on sale of technology consulting firm
- Lead counsel on divestiture of disease management business
- Lead counsel on clinical research collaboration
- Lead counsel for venture capital funds, including formation, capitalization, and investments
- Guided the structure, launch and implementation of a nationwide physician in-office pharmacy management company
Honors & Awards
- John Darrow has been named a "Leading Lawyers in Illinois" in Health Care Law since 2015
- AV Preeminent (5.0 out of 5) rating from Martindale Hubbell
- One of 40 Under 40 Outstanding Illinois Attorneys, Chicago Lawyer Magazine
Cross-Country and Track Coach, Notre Dame Grade School
- State Champions, 2012 and 2014
American Health Lawyers Association, Member
IESA Cross-Country Advisory Committee, Member
- Court Decision Provides Business Groups with Partial VictoryMay 22, 2018
- March 15, 2018
- August 27, 2015
- March 5, 2014
- October 1, 2010