Practices & Industries
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Illinois
- U.S. Supreme Court
University of Pennsylvania (B.A., cum laude, 2000)
Northwestern University School of Law (J.D., 2003)
Shana A. Shifrin is a partner at Burke, Warren, MacKay & Serritella and is a member of the following firm practice groups: Consumer Financial Services Litigation, Class Action Defense, Religious Organizations, and Not-for-Profit Organizations.
Ms. Shifrin received her undergraduate degree, cum laude, from the University of Pennsylvania in 2000, graduating with a B.A. in History (departmental honors) and French. Ms. Shifrin graduated from Northwestern University School of Law with a J.D. in 2003, where she was a Senior Editor on the Journal of International Law and Business and worked in the Bluhm Legal Clinic.
Ms. Shifrin is licensed to practice in Illinois and is admitted in the following courts: the Supreme Court of the United States; the United States Courts of Appeals for the First, Sixth, Seventh, Ninth, and Eleventh Circuits; and the United States District Courts for the Northern District and Southern District of Illinois.
Ms. Shifrin has extensive experience defending various types of businesses in a cross section of industries accused of violating the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA), including allegations concerning autodialing cellular telephone numbers and sending facsimiles in violation of the Act.
In addition to the TCPA, Ms. Shifrin defends banks, mortgage lenders, and related entities in class actions and individual suits involving a variety of state and federal claims, including claims under the Fair Credit Reporting Act, Fair Housing Act, Equal Credit Opportunity Act, Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act, Truth in Lending Act, and the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, as well as alleged violations of state consumer protection statutes.
Ms. Shifrin also represents religious organizations in litigation and internal investigations, including matters involving the negligent hiring and retention of employees, professional and clergy misconduct, and privilege and confidentiality issues.
Additionally, Ms. Shifrin has experience concerning health care insurance and RICO class actions, health care insurance contract disputes, professional liability actions, trust and estate litigation, and other complex commercial disputes. Prior to joining Burke, Warren, MacKay & Serritella, Ms. Shifrin practiced in the litigation department at Jenner & Block LLP.
- Lewis, et al. v. Chase Home Finance LLC (W.D. Wash.)
- Deutsche Bank National Trust Company, as Trustee for Long Beach Mortgage Loan Trust 2006-4 v. Ferreyra, et al. (Erie Court of Common Pleas, Ohio)
- Perez, et al. v. Chase Home Finance LLC (Los Angeles County Superior Court, California)
- Pena, et al. v. EMC Mortgage Corporation, et al. (D. N.J.)
- Nicholls, et al. v. EMC Mortgage Corporation (D. Mass.)
- Manson, et al. v. GMAC Mortgage LLC, et al. (D. Mass.)
- Christian County Clerk, et al. v. Mortgage Electronic Registration, et al. (W.D. Ky.)
- State of Georgia, ex rel. Deborah Saunders and Barry Boswell, et al. v. Mortgage Electronic Registration Systems, Inc., et al. (N.D. Ga.)
- Gonzalez, et al. v. JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A. (Los Angeles County Superior Court, California)
- Freeman v. Chase Home Finance, LLC, Case No. 10 CV 765 (N.D. Ohio)
- Vega v. CTX Corp., et al. (D. Nev.)
Honors & Awards
- Ms. Shifrin has been named an Illinois Super Lawyer Rising Star in 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015.
Ms. Shifrin has devoted a significant amount of her practice to pro bonomatters, including a first-degree murder trial resulting in a not guilty verdict, a successful petition for a stay of execution to the Supreme Court of the United States, and post-conviction hearings. Ms. Shifrin also has argued appeals on behalf of pro bonoclients in the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit and the Illinois Appellate Court.
- Court Decision Provides Business Groups with Partial VictoryMay 22, 2018
- Dos and Don'ts regarding the Telephone Consumer Protection ActNovember 8, 2017
- April 3, 2017
- January 11, 2012
- September 10, 2010