John P. Stephens is a partner at Burke, Warren, MacKay & Serritella, P.C. Mr. Stephens conducts a broad-based commercial real estate practice at Burke Warren, representing owners, developers, and managers of office, industrial, and mixed-use properties, as well as institutional real estate lenders. He has represented developers and users in some of the largest industrial and distribution center transactions in the Chicago area and around the country.
Mr. Stephens offers significant national experience representing both landlords and tenants in the negotiation of general office, medical office, industrial, and retail leases. He leads a team of attorneys specializing in all aspects of real estate leasing. His leasing clients include several of the nation’s most notable office and industrial developers.
Mr. Stephens also has considerable experience in land use and zoning issues with municipal authorities throughout the Chicago area and has been successful in using tax increment financing (TIF) and other governmental incentive programs as a method of funding development projects.
In addition to his real estate practice, Mr. Stephens provides general counsel to not-for-profit entities, as well as closely held businesses and their owners.
For many years, Mr. Stephens chaired the firm's Lateral Hiring Committee and currently chairs their Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee.
- Mr. Stephens serves as Chairman of the Aiken Horse Park Foundation, Aiken, South Carolina, which operates "Bruce's Field", a state of the art equestrian venue which supports Aiken's civic, educational, and charitable endeavors.
- He also participates in community activities including the following:
- Omicron Delta Epsilon, member
- Illinois State Bar Association, member
- Chicago Riverwalk Committee, member
- Recipient of the Buoniconti Fund, 2013 Chicago Man of the Year Award
- Burke Warren Partner John Stephens Quoted in Crain’s Chicago Article Entitled, “For Black lawyers, roadblocks to partnership persist”News,
- Adrian Atwater and Jolisa Warmack, Participants in Burke Warren’s Inaugural 3L Minority Internship Program, Accept Offers to Join The FirmNews