Environmental statutes, regulations, and ordinances present an ever-present challenge to businesses and individuals in the conduct of their day-to-day operations. Burke, Warren, MacKay & Serritella’s environmental practice group is here to help you navigate the issues and provide counsel to you in developing and implementing plans for operations and compliance with a myriad of environmental laws and regulations.
Protection of human health and the environment is the guidepost in the development of environmental laws. In meeting these goals, such laws regulate the purchase, transportation, storage, use and disposal of hazardous and toxic substances and their release into the environment. Consequently, these laws can affect the daily operation and transactions of many businesses. They can also impact the value of property, increase construction costs and create numerous liabilities. In identifying the impact of environmental laws on your business, we can provide comprehensive guidance on environmental issues, including conducting risk assessment and providing compliance counseling, in order to implement cost-effective plans to address on-going concerns and reduce or eliminate liability. We also assist our clients in the acquisition or sale of a business or real estate, including conducting due diligence to assure existing liabilities are fully identified before the transaction closes.
In addition, we also have significant experience in representing our clients in various tribunals, including the federal and state courts, the Illinois Pollution Control Board, and other administrative agencies. Typical representation includes defending against enforcement actions brought by regulatory agencies, as well as contribution claims and cost recovery against liable third parties. In addition, we also provide counsel to clients undergoing environmental remediation, permitting and other regulatory proceedings.
- Burke Warren Partner John Stephens Quoted in Crain’s Chicago Article Entitled, “For Black lawyers, roadblocks to partnership persist”News,
- Burke Warren Cited In Chicago Tribune Article Regarding a Pro Bono Case Recently Undertaken by the FirmNews,
- Burke Warren Serves as Pro Bono Counsel in Federal Lawsuit Charging Advocate Health and Hospitals Corporation with Racial DiscriminationNews,
- Burke Warren Proud to Participate in the Chicago Bar Foundation’s 2022 Investing in Justice CampaignNews,
- Adrian Atwater and Jolisa Warmack, Participants in Burke Warren’s Inaugural 3L Minority Internship Program, Accept Offers to Join The FirmNews
- Burke, Warren, MacKay & Serritella, P.C. Partner Karen Kavanagh Mack Appointed Chair of ISBA Environmental Law Section CouncilNews,