Practices & Industries
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois, including Trial Bar
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. Court of Appeals: First, Fifth, Sixth, Seventh, Eighth, Ninth, and Eleventh Circuits
- United States Supreme Court
- Special admission: Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Missouri, Nevada, New Jersey, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Carolina, and West Virginia
University of Iowa (B.A., cum laude, 1996)
University of Iowa College of Law (J.D., with high distinction, 1999)
Danielle is an experienced litigator who has spent the past twenty years guiding clients through a wide range of disputes. Whether Danielle is handling a small matter, a significant class action or preparing for trial, her goal is always to obtain the best results for her clients by the most efficient means.
Danielle represents companies and individuals in litigation matters involving commercial and business disputes, sales and marketing practices, false and deceptive advertising, privacy claims, consumer fraud, unfair business practices, appraisal fraud, employment disputes, and claims of negligent hiring and retention of employees. This includes having defended clients in more than fifty class action matters nationwide involving a variety of claims based on state common law, consumer fraud statutes, the Telephone Consumer Protection Act, the Illinois Biometric Information Privacy Act, the Fair Labor Standards Act, the U.S. Bankruptcy Code, the Truth in Lending Act, the Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act, the Fair Credit Reporting Act, the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, and Chicago’s Residential Landlord Tenant Ordinance.
Danielle also provides clients with compliance review services related to marketing practices and the use of technology that may capture biometric data (e.g., fingerprint scanners, facial recognition technology).
Danielle is a practice leader in the Firm’s Class Action Defense group, and a member of the Firm’s Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee. Danielle also chaired the Firm’s Summer Associate Committee for four years.
Danielle also represents individuals requiring pro bono representation, including in immigration matters. Prior to joining the Firm, Danielle practiced law at the Chicago office of Jenner & Block.
Danielle has found success in the courtroom at the trial and appellate levels. In one recent highlight, Danielle obtained judgment in her client’s favor after a bench trial where the opponent sought reformation of a commercial lease. In another recent matter, Danielle obtained dismissal at trial after the court granted significant motions in limine in the client’s favor. Other highlights include obtaining a not-guilty verdict for her client in a criminal assault trial; obtaining judgment in her client's favor after the bench trial of a TCPA case; and numerous successes at the appellate level including cases argued before the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals, the Court of Appeals of Ohio, and the Court of Appeals of the State of California.
While Danielle is always prepared to defend her clients through the trial and appellate stages of litigation, most cases are won or successfully resolved before her clients face the challenges of trial. In complex litigation matters, including cases alleged as class actions, Danielle finds success in either defeating plaintiff’s motion for class certification, obtaining an early judgment for defendant on the merits, successfully litigating the case to the point where plaintiff will abandon the class allegations and settle the matter on an individual basis, or guiding and advising the client through the complexities of a class action settlement to ensure the best possible outcome for the client.
- Clark v. Bumbo International Trust, 2017 WL 3704825 (N.D. Ill. Aug. 28, 2017) (denying class certification in false and deceptive advertising case)
- Wood v. Long and At World Properties, LLC, d/b/a @properties, Case No. 16-7419 (N.D. Ill., Apr. 13, 2017) (secured voluntary dismissal with prejudice of individual FLSA and Illinois statutory claims after deposition of putative class representative)
- Lewisman v. AT WORLD PROPERTIES d/b/a @properties, 13 CH 22070 (Cir. Ct. Cook County, Ill. Sept. 2, 2015) (granting motion to strike class allegations)
- In re: Mortgage Electronic Registration Systems, Inc., 754 F.3d 772 (9th Cir. 2014) (affirming dismissal of consolidated amended complaint in multidistrict litigation alleging fraud and conspiracy based on the use and creation of the MERS® system)
- Glazer v. Chase Home Finance LLC, et al.,2013 WL 7869273 (Ohio App. 8 Dist. Dec. 19, 2013) (affirming dismissal of class action complaint alleging claims for violation of the Ohio Consumer Sales Practices Act, conspiracy, and negligent and intentional misrepresentation)
- Glazer v. Chase Home Finance LLC,et al.,704 F.3d 453 (6th Cir. 2013) (affirming dismissal of class action complaint alleging FDCPA violations)
- Pittman v. Chase Home Finance LLC, 2012 WL 893418 (Ohio App. 8 Dist. Mar. 15, 2012) (affirming that limits on class counsel’s use of class list did not interfere with attorney-client relationship or class counsel’s right to free speech)
- Haynes v. EMC Mortg. Corp., 205 Cal. Appl. 4th 329 (Cal. App. 1st Dist. 2012) (affirming dismissal of class action complaint and holding assignment did not need to be recorded prior to nonjudicial foreclosure on deed of trust because California statute regarding recording did not apply to deeds of trust)
- Rodriguez v. Chase Home Finance LLC, 2011 WL 5076346 (N.D.Ill. Oct. 25, 2011) (dismissing class action complaint alleging violations of the Homeowners Protection Act)
- Barger v. EMC Mortgage Corporation, et al., 2011 WL 4712209 (N.D.Cal. Oct. 7, 2011) (denying class certification in case alleging RESPA violations)
- Cervantes v. Countrywide Home Loans, Inc., 656 F.3d 1034 (9th Cir. 2011) (affirming dismissal of putative class action complaint alleging fraud and conspiracy based on the use and creation of the MERS® system)
- Siwulec v. Chase Home Finance, LLC, 2010 WL 5071353 (D.N.J. Dec. 7, 2010) (dismissing class action complaint alleging FDCPA violations)
- Gunter v. Chase Bank USA, N.A., 731 F.Supp.2d 1238 (S.D.Ala. Aug. 9, 2010) (granting summary judgment against plaintiffs on class claims alleging RESPA violations)
- Price v. Washington Mutual Bank, 2010 WL 1416706 (Bkrtcy. N.D.Ala. April 8, 2010) (dismissing class action complaint alleging defendants assessed unapproved, post-petition fees and charges to debtors’ accounts)
- Rodriguez v. Bear Stearns Companies, Inc., 2009 WL 5184702 (D.Conn. Dec. 22, 2009) (granting summary judgment against plaintiffs in a nationwide, racial discrimination claim for “predatory servicing” under the Fair Housing Act, 42 U.S.C. § 3601, et seq.)
- Pittman v. Chase Home Finance, LLC, Case No. CV-05-571902 Common Pleas Court, County of Cuyahoga, Ohio (May 27, 2009) (denying class certification in case alleging violations of state lien release statute)
- Herrera v. JPMorgan Chase Bank, NA, consolidated with Ruhl v. HSBC Mortgage Services, Case No. 08-cv-371-LA (E.D. Wisc. Dec. 23, 2008) (affirming dismissal of class action adversary proceeding brought on behalf of Chapter 13 bankruptcy debtors)
- Trevino v. Merscorp, Inc., et al., 583 F.Supp.2d 521 (D. Del. Sept. 30, 2008) (granting motion to dismiss class action against shareholders of MERS®)
- Moseley-Smith v. Chase Manhattan Mortgage Corporation, 222 Fed.Appx. 533, 2007 WL 866182 (8th Cir. 2007) (affirming summary judgment against plaintiffs on claims alleging impropriety of facsimile fees)
- Hyderi v. Washington Mutual Bank, FA, 235 F.R.D. 390 (N.D. Ill. Mar. 28, 2006) (denying class certification in case alleging RESPA violations)
- Illinois Mortgage Bankers Association, Legal Issues and Regulatory Compliance Committee, 2014
Danielle is involved in volunteer work with the First United Methodist Church at the Chicago Temple. Her work includes serving four years as the volunteer coordinator for the Homeless Ministry, three years as a member of the Children’s Ministry Committee, and fifteen years as a Sunday school teacher working with children in preschool through first grade. Danielle also visited the Philippines in 2009 on a mission trip hosted by the Chicago Temple.
- February 25, 2019
- July 12, 2018
- Court Decision Provides Business Groups with Partial VictoryMay 22, 2018
- May 22, 2018
- October 5, 2017
- September 18, 2017
- October 12, 2016
- September 23, 2015
- April 26, 2019
- Speaker at Pincus Professional Education Seminar addressing Expert DepositionsFebruary 25, 2019
- For The Defense, January 2018
- "Supreme Court Review" PresentationACI National Forum on Consumer Finance Class Actions & Litigation, January 26-27, 2016
- "Class Action Settlements" PresentationACI National Forum on Consumer Finance Class Actions & Litigation, April 13-14, 2015
- "Class Action Settlements" PresentationACI National Conference on Consumer Finance Class Actions & Litigation, January 29-30, 2015
- Co-authored Recent Trends in Federal Preemption of State Law Claims Under the Federal Home Owners' Loan Act of 1933THE BANKING LAW JOURNAL, July 2002
- Co-authored Federal savings associations should raise preemption defense against state law claims at early stage of litigation, Consumer Financial Services Law ReportJune 5, 2002