Danielle Gould is a partner at Burke, Warren, MacKay & Serritella, P.C. Danielle is an experienced litigator who has spent the past twenty years guiding clients through a wide range of disputes. Whether Danielle is handling a small matter, a significant class action or preparing for trial, her goal is always to obtain the best results for her clients by the most efficient means.
Danielle represents companies and individuals in litigation matters involving commercial and business disputes, sales and marketing practices, false and deceptive advertising, privacy claims, consumer fraud, unfair business practices, appraisal fraud, employment disputes, and claims of negligent hiring and retention of employees. This includes having defended clients in more than fifty class action matters nationwide involving a variety of claims based on state common law, consumer fraud statutes, the Telephone Consumer Protection Act, the Illinois Biometric Information Privacy Act, the Fair Labor Standards Act, the U.S. Bankruptcy Code, the Truth in Lending Act, the Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act, the Fair Credit Reporting Act, the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, and Chicago’s Residential Landlord Tenant Ordinance.
Danielle also provides clients with compliance review services related to marketing practices and the use of technology that may capture biometric data (e.g., fingerprint scanners, facial recognition technology).
Danielle is a practice leader in the Firm’s Class Action Defense group, and a member of the Firm’s Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee. Danielle also chaired the Firm’s Summer Associate Committee for four years.
Danielle also represents individuals requiring pro bono representation, including in immigration matters. Prior to joining the Firm, Danielle practiced law at the Chicago office of Jenner & Block.
Danielle has found success in the courtroom at the trial and appellate levels. In one recent highlight, Danielle obtained judgment in her client’s favor after a bench trial where the opponent sought reformation of a commercial lease. In another recent matter, Danielle obtained dismissal at trial after the court granted significant motions in limine in the client’s favor. Other highlights include obtaining a not-guilty verdict for her client in a criminal assault trial; obtaining judgment in her client's favor after the bench trial of a TCPA case; and numerous successes at the appellate level including cases argued before the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals, the Court of Appeals of Ohio, and the Court of Appeals of the State of California.
While Danielle is always prepared to defend her clients through the trial and appellate stages of litigation, most cases are won or successfully resolved before her clients face the challenges of trial. In complex litigation matters, including cases alleged as class actions, Danielle finds success in either defeating plaintiff’s motion for class certification, obtaining an early judgment for defendant on the merits, successfully litigating the case to the point where plaintiff will abandon the class allegations and settle the matter on an individual basis, or guiding and advising the client through the complexities of a class action settlement to ensure the best possible outcome for the client.
- Illinois Mortgage Bankers Association, Legal Issues and Regulatory Compliance Committee, 2014
Danielle is involved in volunteer work with the First United Methodist Church at the Chicago Temple. Her work includes serving four years as the volunteer coordinator for the Homeless Ministry, three years as a member of the Children’s Ministry Committee, and fifteen years as a Sunday school teacher working with children in preschool through first grade. Danielle also visited the Philippines in 2009 on a mission trip hosted by the Chicago Temple.
- Burke Warren Selects Christine Eduardo and Mathew Musipa to Participate in the Burke Warren 2022 3L Minority Internship ProgramNews,
- Adrian Atwater and Jolisa Warmack, Participants in Burke Warren’s Inaugural 3L Minority Internship Program, Accept Offers to Join The FirmNews
- Car dealers sue Rivian, state over direct salesNews, Crain's Chicago Business ,
- Event, Webinar via Zoom,
- Speaker at Pincus Professional Education Seminar addressing Expert DepositionsPublication,
- Publication, For The Defense,
- "Supreme Court Review" PresentationPublication, ACI National Forum on Consumer Finance Class Actions & Litigation, January 26-27, 2016
- "Class Action Settlements" PresentationPublication, ACI National Forum on Consumer Finance Class Actions & Litigation, April 13-14, 2015
- "Class Action Settlements" PresentationPublication, ACI National Conference on Consumer Finance Class Actions & Litigation, January 29-30, 2015
- Co-authored Recent Trends in Federal Preemption of State Law Claims Under the Federal Home Owners' Loan Act of 1933Publication, THE BANKING LAW JOURNAL,
- Co-authored Federal savings associations should raise preemption defense against state law claims at early stage of litigation, Consumer Financial Services Law ReportPublication,
Practices & Industries
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois (Trial Bar)
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Special admission: Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Missouri, Nevada, New Jersey, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Carolina, and West Virginia
University of Iowa (B.A., cum laude, 1996)
University of Iowa College of Law (J.D., with high distinction, 1999)