Joshua ("Josh") J. Cauhorn is a partner at Burke, Warren, MacKay & Serritella, P.C. Josh represents businesses of all sizes with an emphasis on entrepreneurs and mid-market companies. He focuses his practice on litigation but often acts as an outside general counsel, leveraging the firm’s deep bench of experienced attorneys to provide on-point counsel for every business legal need. Clients choose Josh because he takes the time to understand and advance their overarching objectives, both for businesses and the individuals who own them, acting as a “one-stop shop” for timely and effective counsel.
Josh represents clients in a diverse array of areas, among them:
- social impact businesses and nonprofits
- commercial and residential real estate brokers and brokerages
- commercial and residential landlords and related real estate activity
- motor vehicle dealers
- business consultants and advisors
- business owners/shareholders
Josh earned his B.S. in English Education, magna cum laude, from Huntington University and his J.D., magna cum laude, from the Loyola University Chicago School of Law. In law school, Josh interned with the U.S. Attorneys’ Office for the Northern District of Illinois and externed at the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois. He is a proud former high school English teacher.
Josh strives to be a “one-stop shop” for business counseling and dispute resolution, making his experience broad. It centers on:
- commercial breach of contract and related actions
- real estate disputes
- issues and disputes affecting real estate brokers
- shareholder and member/manager disputes
- raising capital
- issues affecting nonprofits and social enterprise businesses
As to litigation and dispute resolution, Josh takes an aggressive but practical approach, believing that litigation should be a tool to advance business objectives. His dogged and creative advice has proven itself through consistent positive results.
Specific areas of law Josh has litigated include:
- the Uniform Commercial Code;
- the United Nations Convention for the International Sale of Goods;
- the Telephone Consumer Protection Act;
- the California Invasion of Privacy Act;
- the Illinois Real Property Disclosure Act;
- the Illinois Wage Payment and Collection Act;
- the Illinois Consumer Fraud and Deceptive Business Practices Act;
- the Uniform Deceptive Trade Practices Act;
- the Illinois Mechanics Lien Act;
- the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act;
- Breach of contract (and related causes of action such as promissory estoppel);
- Fraud; and
- Related statutes and torts affecting businesses and nonprofits.
Honors & Awards
- Josh was a member and 2015 Captain of the Phillip H. Corboy Trial Fellowship at Loyola University Chicago, a top-ranked trial advocacy program. As part of that program, he was:
- National Champion and National Best Advocate in the 2015 ABA National Criminal Justice Competition
- National Champion in the 2013 William W. Daniel National Mock Trial Competition
- Josh graduated magna cum laude from Loyola University Chicago, obtaining awards for top student (CALI Awards) in
- Appellate Advocacy
- Federal Litigation Practice
- Advising Not-For-Profit Organizations
- Josh also received the Illinois Judicial Council Scholarship Award in 2013.
- Josh also values contributing to his Chicago community. In 2010, he was head coach of a high school soccer coaching staff that received Coach of the Year of the Chicago Prep Conference.
- Board of Directors, Chicago Hope Academy
- Executive Committee
- Josh taught literature and writing at Chicago Hope Academy, a high school committed to social, economic and academic diversity on Chicago’s West Side, from 2009-12 and has stayed involved by serving on its Board of Directors since 2015.
- Member of Mercy Home Associate Board
- Josh is proud to take part of the Associate Board for Mercy Home for Boys and Girls, which does a remarkable job of providing a residential program and “wrap-around” services for young people in need.
- Former Regional Strategy Team for Illinois Leaders for Educational Equity
- Josh organized around Senate Bill 1 in 2015 (and its predecessors), a bill that ultimately overhauled the Illinois K-12 Funding System for the better. More on that can be found here: The Firm's Josh Cauhorn Comments On IL School Funding On Springfield NPR Station.
- Former Instructor and Coach in the Philip H. Corboy Fellowship for Trial Advocacy at Loyola University Chicago
- Josh stays involved through sparring in mock trials against law students.
- Burke Warren Cited In Chicago Tribune Article Regarding a Pro Bono Case Recently Undertaken by the FirmNews,
- Burke Warren Serves as Pro Bono Counsel in Federal Lawsuit Charging Advocate Health and Hospitals Corporation with Racial DiscriminationNews,
- Publication, University of Pennsylvania Journal of Law and Social Change,
- Publication, The Loyola University Chicago Journal of Early Education Law And Policy,
Practices & Industries
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
Huntington University (B.S., English Education, magna cum laude, 2009)
Loyola University Chicago School of Law (J.D., magna cum laude, 2015)