Practices & Industries
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit
Tulane University (B.A., cum laude, 2006)
University of Wisconsin Law School (J.D., cum laude, 2012)
- Order of the Coif
- Managing Editor of the Wisconsin Law Review
- Member and Coach of the Moot Court Board
- Chief Justice Shirley S. Abrahamson, Wisconsin Supreme Court, 2012-13
Blake A. Roter is a trial and appellate attorney in Chicago, who litigates disputes over contracts, trade secret misappropriation and employment agreements, including non-competes, non-solicits and confidentiality clauses in state and federal courts throughout the United States. He represents Fortune 500 companies and public institutions as well as middle-market manufacturers, distributors, real estate developers, and service providers.
Prior to joining Burke, Warren, Blake served as the law clerk for Chief Justice Shirley S. Abrahamson of the Wisconsin Supreme Court. Blake was a summer associate at Burke, Warren, in 2011.
Trade Secret & Employment Agreement Litigation
- Obtained a temporary restraining order in the Northern District of Indiana to prevent staffing company client's former employees from using stolen customer information to open a competing business, leading to a negotiated preliminary injunction and ultimately six-figure settlement payment to client.
- Represented adhesive manufacturer and distributor in the Northern District of Illinois on a motion for a temporary restraining order and in expedited discovery in preparation for a preliminary injunction hearing to prevent former vice president and director of sales from violating a non-competition agreement to work for a competitor, obtaining an injunction and settlement.
- Represented third-party logistics company in the Northern District of Illinois to prevent a former manager from using trade secrets to work for client's competitor and obtained permanent injunction to prevent former manager and competitor from using client's trade secrets.
- Represented accounting firm in the Northern District of Illinois to prevent former managerial employee from stealing client and prospective client list and violate non-competition agreement to start a competing business, obtaining an injunction and settlement.
- Represented a retailer of commercial lighting systems in the Northern District of Illinois in a suit against a former employee and member who, while still employed by the client, created his own company to compete with our client, in the process stealing customer and prospective customer information, breaching his employment agreement and creating confusion in the marketplace.
- Represented a chemical manufacturer in the Eastern District of Missouri in a lawsuit against its former distributor who bribed the client's employee for confidential chemical formulas, defeating a motion for a temporary restraining order, and bringing claims under the Defend Trade Secrets Act of 2016 among others.
- Represented a vertical farm in suit against licensee in the Western District of Michigan for breach of license agreement and trade secret misappropriation to prevent the unauthorized use of client's trade secrets.
- Defended a consulting company against claims in the Southern District of Ohio that it and its new employees stole confidential information, violated copyright and trade secret laws and breached employment agreements, brought by their former competitor employer.
- Represented a car dealership in the Eastern District of Wisconsin in a suit against a former employee and his new employer who improperly accessed customer information and used that customer information on behalf of his new employer.
Other Representative Matters:
Labor & Employment Litigation
- Represented employers and their managers against lawsuits brought by the Illinois Department of Labor under the Illinois Wage Payment and Collection Act and Illinois Minimum Wage Act
Trusts & Estates Litigation
- Represented Big 6 Bank in trust litigation, including trust contest trial, petitions for instructions, appointment of successor trustees and early termination.
Insurance Coverage Litigation
- Won judgment on the pleadings in Caveo, LLC v. Citizens Insurance Company of America, Inc., et al, No. 15-cv-6200, 2016 WL 5477537 (N.D. Ill. Sept. 29, 2016) (Motion for reconsideration denied, 2017 WL 2672297), holding that client’s insurer breached its duty to defend and indemnify client in underlying litigation.
- Regularly counsels clients in disputes with their insurance companies to ensure appropriate and sufficient insurance coverage.
Representative Appellate Experience
- Won a reversal and remand in Malek v. Gold Coast Exotic Imports, LLC, 2018 IL App (1st) 171459, holding that an oral agreement between automobile dealership and customer created a valid security interest, which dealership perfected by taking possession of the vehicle which put customer’s ex-wife on notice of the dealership’s interest in the vehicle, such that the vehicle’s title she obtained in divorce action was subject to dealership’s lien.
General Commercial Litigation
- Won bench trial in Cook County, Illinois (Chicago), holding the client’s contractor had breach its construction contract and violated the Home Remodeling and Repair Act, 815 ILCS 513/1, et seq., entitling client to recovery of his damages and attorney’s fees.
- Defended residential developer against home buyer's meritless allegations of undisclosed defects which was voluntarily dismissed after the majority of counts were dismissed on the merits.
- Represented bank officers, directors and employees in OCC and FDIC investigations and civil actions.
- Represented developers, property owners, and condominium associations against municipal ordinance violations brought by the City of Chicago, including building code violations, construction violations, and streets & sanitation violations.
Honors & Awards
- 2018 Double Chai in the Chi: Chicago’s Jewish 36 Under 36
- 2019 L’Dor V’Dor Award for Emerging Leadership from the Alpha Epsilon Pi Foundation
Jewish Federations of North America
- National Young Leadership Cabinet (2020-Present)
The Standard Club
- Board of Directors (2019-Present)
Reading in Motion
- Auxiliary Board (2013-Present)
- Vice President (2014-16)
- Regional Board Member (2016-Present)
- National Glass Leadership Institute Alumni Advisory Board (2019-Present)
- Chicago Glass Leadership Institute Co-Chair (2015-16)
Appellate Lawyers Association
- Member (2018-Present)
- July 21, 2021
- June 21, 2021
- January 8, 2021
- December 28, 2020
- November 19, 2020
- September 1, 2020
- June 30, 2020
- June 23, 2020
- June 22, 2020
- June 1, 2020
- May 28, 2020
- May 26, 2020
- May 22, 2020
- SBA Extends PPP Loan Safe Harbor Repayment Date to May 18 and Provides More Guidance for Borrowers over $2 MillionMay 14, 2020
- May 7, 2020
- May 4, 2020
- April 1, 2020
- April 1, 2020
- March 27, 2020
- March 25, 2020
- March 24, 2020
- March 24, 2020
- March 19, 2020
- December 16, 2019
- December 12, 2019
- November 9, 2019
- August 17, 2018
- May 11, 2018
- May 2, 2018
- MEET BLAKE ROTER, AUXILIARY BOARD MEMBERMarch 20, 2018
- October 20, 2017
- May 19, 2017
- March 17, 2017
- August 28, 2016
- July 31, 2016
- June 15, 2016
- May 2, 2016
- October 1, 2013
Events & Speaking Engagements
- Webinar via Zoom, November 4, 2021